[eDebate] Policy at the University of Oregon

matt stannard stannardmatt
Tue Apr 11 10:27:06 CDT 2006

Here's a piece of what I just posted:

Israel Pastrana, a fantastic, hard-working, brilliant, economically
disadvantaged student, transferred to Oregon on the promise of being able to
finish a policy debate career there. Instead of holding out one more year so
Israel could finish his career as promised, he was placed on the sacrificial
altar. I think that's incredibly sad, and I can't imagine ANY reason why
holding out for another year would be infeasible. If he's as cool as Paul
and Aaron say he is (and I happen to know he is), were he my student, I
would find the damn money and resources to help him out. Even if I were a
busy grad student (which, I promise you, is no worse than being a busy
director, teacher, and parent).

I think it would be more reasonable, honorable, and ethical for Aaron and
Paul to make sure Israel gets to finish his debate career. That's what I
would do if I decided to "cut" one or the other halves of our program. I
would say: You folks doing xxx type of debate will be the last of your kind
here, we will let you finish the careers you've worked so hard to build, but
we won't keep recruiting on this side.

But of course it's not my place to make that suggestion or criticism, is it?
I only get to passively read Aaron's statement and either publicly affirm it
or keep my mouth shut. That's the kind of logic the folks in the beltway
really love these days.

Oh and by the way, if either Aaron or Paul judge my character or friendship
with them based on whether I roll over and lick their nether regions
publicly, that would be pretty sad. I think they know better than that. And
if anyone else wants to take issue with my tone, they can kiss my ass. This
shit is important to me.

Aaron and Paul: Pull up your goddam britches and let Israel finish his
policy debate career at Oregon. Stop being wussies and do the right thing.

stannard