[eDebate] Problem solved: Lets just vote for IPR

Jon Wright jwright012
Tue Apr 11 14:30:55 CDT 2006

>>My only concern about IPR is the MASSIVE amount of backfiles that people
>>are going to be able to use from last year and a little bit from the
>>Europe topic. <<

I don't think this will be as big of a problem as you'd think.  Although IPR
was a big aff on this year's topic, most of the debates did not revolve
around the merits of IP protection.  Most seemed to focus on China's
compliance, whether the US would win a WTO complaint, and pressure bad.
Although I can't speak for others, I know that we cut relatively few cards
on IP protection good/bad, but focused mostly on the trade aspects.
Removing the pressuring China aspect would change the nature of these
debates considerably.

As for the Europe topic, I don't think that the DNA part of the topic was
explored very heavily.  I don't know about other people, but I debated this
case a total of two times the whole year.  There wasn't a strong consensus
on what it meant to harmonize the US's IP laws with Europe (computer
homology?  compulsory licensing?).  The DNA case seems to be in the same
situation as Kyoto on the treaties topic - yeah, it was there, but wasn't
discussed very much.  But as the fossil fuels topic proved, there was plenty
to discuss about Kyoto once a topic forced some focus on it.

An IPR topic would also include lots of specific areas that have been
relatively untouched - software piracy, file-sharing, etc.  Although I'm
sure that Malcolm's research diet of realism bad and eDebate posts has
exhausted the IPR literature for him, surely there are others who can
benefit.

Jon