[eDebate] Re-OPEn THE bebATe abOUT swITch SiDe Debate

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Thu Apr 13 16:23:56 CDT 2006

THE CAPITAL LETTERS DO SEEM TO SHOUT!  WHAT IS SWITCH-SIDE DEBATE AND WHEN DID THE DEBATE OVER IT STOP?

Wow, capital letters cause flem as well.

Wanted to chime in on one argument--the USFG (Agent-Lock) argument.

Arguing for a non-USFG agent (even possible on a Courts topic, see the 91-92 resolution) is not an argument for affirmative flexibility.  It is an argument that the norm for affirmative action is presumed to be the same body year after year, a body that we really aren't part of, and a body that incribes a legislative end-point for change.

Certainly we have seen that the aff does not have to defend a traditional notion of the USFG to be successful.  In fact, to shout, AFFIRMATIVE FLEX IS INEVITABLE, no matter what the topic.  Creative debaters will go affirmative--this ensures flexibility.

So, in a world of inevitable flexibility, the "agent-lock" problem (always using the USFG) is more of a pedagogy argument.  What do we all learn and teach as the "middle of the road," "the safe bet," "the topical approach," "straight-up debate," every year?  The answer to that question is the reason to give a non-USFG agent a shot.

kevin