[eDebate] Reconnecting debate to the academy-topics that reflect the literature

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Thu Apr 13 19:09:50 CDT 2006

I actually agree with most of what Dr. Warner says here...The problem is
that we all have theories of what is wrong and no meaningful data to back
any of it up.  Let me say one thing, however.

I have worked at UMKC, UCO, ASU, UNT, and now U of M....I will be honest, I
have no problem at all defending what we do to administrators and have had
to many times.  I will go a step further....For the most part, I am pretty
proud of what we do.  Now, this has nothing to do with the "why we are
losing programs" question (at least not directly) or the why are we losing
PHDs discussion (at least not directly).  I just wanted to say that what we
do, in the main, is defensible to administrators.

The rest of this I largely agree with - there has been a disconnect between
the academic basis of the activity and best competitive practices that has
caused problems for students and coaches.  However, we probably disagree
about best solutions (shocking)....Good research would certainly move
everyone much closer to understanding these processes more and arguing
less.  However, good research, in my mind, does not mean we go in
pre-determining outcomes.

Anyway, good post Ede,

Josh