[eDebate] And the Elephant In the Corner Is...

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Mon Apr 17 18:16:43 CDT 2006

I strongly agree with Eber. This year, we stayed at the Clarion across the street instead of CEDA's Westin. This was due to a reservations glitch, but the difference in room rate (about $20 a night) saved us nearly $1000 during the tournament. Even if entry fees went up a bit due to using other facilities for elims, a cheaper hotel could save a LOT of money. The hotel we use for our tournament allows us to host elims in the hotel, but keeps a room rate around $62 per room. It isn't in the Starwood chain, but it functions just fine.

Speaking of entry fees.....

My wife believes I live a double life in a financial sense. During the week, we scrimp and save. On weekends, I eat out with the team, sometimes at nice places. Prices occasionally have a nails-on-chalkboard effect on me. Nowhere is this greater than during banquets. Prices vary, but $35-$50 per plate is not uncommon. I could provide my team a much nicer meal for 1/3 of that price. I would really like to see tournaments move away from banquets as a practice.

Of course, many of the tournaments with expensive banquets are essential if one's program is to be competitive. Thus, the banquets are functionally a forced expense. It does not have to be that way.

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication
Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 363A