[eDebate] And the Elephant In the Corner Is...

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Tue Apr 18 08:28:49 CDT 2006

I am actually very interested in the community's opinion on this whole
matter. We have been trying to hold costs down at our tournament, and
we've succeeded in keeping entry fees low (for a national tournament,
anyway). However, it is obvious that the hotel issue is a much larger
one in terms of overall cost. Any downtown hotel we choose in Atlanta
will have the virtue of being close to the campus and various eating
options. It will also be nearly $100 a night (before taxes and other
fees) and will require you to pay for parking. If we locate the
tournament hotel closer to the perimeter, we may be able to get room
rates down to $80 a night with no parking fee. The down side is that
you'll have to drive 15 minutes to campus and there won't be food
within walking distance.

We could probably drop hotel costs another $10 a night if we went to a
model where elim rounds are on campus AND the tournament hotel is
further away. However, it is worth noting that even at GSU (where
rooms are plentiful), we would have to pay the university to find
elim-round-worthy rooms that we could keep late enough in the evening
to hold 5 elims in one day. Classrooms are in use on Monday, so we'd
end up using rooms we get charged for. That cost would then have to be
passed on to the community in the form of higher entry fees.

I'm working on a hotel contract this week, so please let me know your thoughts.

Dr. Joe Bellon
Director of Debate
Georgia State University