[eDebate] A different kind of elephant

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Tue Apr 18 11:54:09 CDT 2006

Oddly enough, post-round disclosure and discussion rarely adds much
additional delay.  For 95% of the rounds, the discussion occurs while
the last judge is deciding so teams don't have anything else to do.  For
the last couple of rounds that are decided, the release of the next
round pairing almost always becomes an incentive to shut down the
conversation.  There are times when the pairing comes out, the
discussion continues and then the teams still want full prep time before
the next round but this is fairly uncommon.

As long as we get decisions before the discussion, it rarely delays
us.

>>> "Greg Thomas" <greg.thomas at gmail.com> 4/18/2006 11:43 am >>>
How about not announcing decisions after rounds and thus eliminating
almost all of the post-round critique?  A few comments maybe, but a
well written out ballet can be just as helpful (and even more so since
it is not read by the competitors in the heat of the moment) and would
really speed things along by avoiding the post debate (and post
decision) debate that has become so popular.

On 4/18/06, Gary Larson <Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu> wrote:
the receipt of the last ballot to the release of the next
> round pairing, t> While we're talking about elephants, let me
identify another one that
> adds immensely to the costs in both financial and human terms.
>
> Every part of the tournament debating experience from pre-round
> preparation, in-round speaking and preparation, post-round
> decision-making and disclosure to all-night online research has
> inexorably increased over the years.  Once upon a time, tabroom
> activities were the biggest cause of tournament length, often leading
> pervasive lagged-paired rounds.  But even though those tab
activities
> have been radically shortened so that at CEDA Nats we only take about
5
> minutes from he overall length of the day continues to increase.
>
> At the NDT it takes us four full days to complete 13 rounds.  At
CEDA
> it takes 4 very long days to complete 15 rounds.  At most national
> circuit tournaments it takes 3 unbelievably long days to complete 12
or
> 13 rounds.  Each of those days are so long that travel almost
> necessarily consumes a full day on either side.
>
> While the time limits haven't been increased for years, everything
> still takes longer.  At CEDA we identified 2:45 from the announced
start
> time as the drop dead coin-flipping point for a decision.  Just a
couple
> of years ago we expected all decisions within 2:30.  But even with
2:45
> we bumped up against or exceeded it almost every round.  So where
did
> the time go?  With a continuously running clock a debate should
consume
> 92 minutes (yeah right).  At the beginning of the round, perceived
> coaching demands delay the start time with delays inevitably
cascading
> through the tournament.  In-round activities also keep getting
longer.
> As a tabroom person who has to predict when ballots will start
coming
> in, it's remarkable that 2:00 after the announced start time, the
doors
> start opening and rounds start ending.  And then once the round
ends,
> it's almost a badge of honor to be the judge that deliberates for
> 30-45-60 minutes on the decision in an important round.  And once
the
> clock starts slipping from scheduled times, the delays often start
> multiplying.  Once pairings get released, teams now have a pretty
strong
> expectation that they should have at least 45 minutes and preferably
an
> hour to prepare for the next debate when once we thought we were
hitting
> the mark with 30 minutes.
>
> On the last day at CEDA Nats, it was not that long ago that we
believed
> that the final round could confidently be scheduled between 6 and 7
PM.