[eDebate] A different kind of elephant

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Tue Apr 18 12:28:40 CDT 2006

what gary says below is right. unfortunately, i'm not sure what we can do
about it. the "solutions" have drawbacks that the community, including me,
would oppose. and, frankly, that is the problem with these kinds of issues.
enough people like aspects of things as they are that they aren't willing to
change (see hotel thread, see tournament fees thread, see . . .). so, yea,
i'm part of the problem but i do offer a suggestion below. of course, enough
people will oppose my suggestion and enough will, i'm guessing, oppose other
"solutions" or "ideas," so nothing will really be done even though i'm also
guessing virtually everyone responded to gary's message by saying, at least
in part, "yea, days are really long at these tournaments." and, so we will
continue doing what we do with its costs intact.

--ending oral decisions would undermine that educational and very popular
aspect (written ballots just do not replace oral decisions)--and i'm not
sure that is an even large part of the problem, since, after the last ballot
is in, 5+ minutes later, the pairing is out and the teams start moving to
their next round so the oral decision is truncated in those late rounds
anyway. (gary just pointed this out as i was writing this)

--returning to 8-3-5-8 prep. let's see the groundswell of support for that.
:) i remember being at the ceda exec meeting where we voted to switch to
9-3-6-10 and there were multiple promises that we could just make things
more efficient and thereby not increase the length of the day. yea. that
move, while having its rationale, means an extra 48 minutes a day with a 4
round tournament.

--having 6 round tournaments. that can be good--but not for ceda nats, the
ndt, nor mega tournaments with 100+ teams. you need to sort teams out with
powermatching and make the long day of travel worth it to go to that
tournament.

--i will throw in my semi-annual comment on this subject: start days later.
i can handle 13-14 hour days. i cannot handle 13-14 hour days with the
massive switch in timing i undergo at national tournaments. i'm not
alone--though like i said above . . .

anyway, why do we have pairings at 7am (and even earlier)? for those of us
from the west--that is 4 or 5am our time at east coast/midwest tournaments.
we are then expected to handle these 13 to 14 hour days. it is very, very
tough. what students are regularly up at 6am anyway? what students are
regularly up at 4am? are most coaches up at these hours normally? why do we
do this to ourselves? wouldn't a schedule starting at 10am--even though
ending nearer to midnight each day--with food available be much better
attuned to our normal sleeping schedules? (and if food is your issue, let's
be honest--getting food after the last round of the day with the current
schedules is already pretty much confined to pizza or fast food anyway)

i know i am talking into the wind--i couldn't even get a rule for ceda nats
that pairings wouldn't be released before 7am/8am passed (it ended in a
tie). but, i'm saying it again because i believe it.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu