[eDebate] A different kind of elephant

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Apr 18 12:41:52 CDT 2006

I agree with Jim that most people like at least some aspect of the status quo, but I feel compelled to touch on two of the other things that Gary mentioned.  People could coach their teams 15 minutes less per round (that's an hour saved per day); it's not like they listen to you anyway!  And judges could decide rounds more quickly.  Even those who believe that taking longer increases accuracy (there are those who suggest that after a certain point, it has a negative impact on accuracy) would probably agree to the following:
1.  There are diminishing returns to the time spent deciding (the incremental increase in accuracy for the first 5 minutes is greater than it is for each succeeding 5 minutes).
2.  There comes a point where increased certainty trades off with other considerations.
3.  If it's a round that is complicated enough for you to have to take more than a few minutes, you will never achieve 100% certainty.

Thus, the only question becomes where one consideration outweighs the other.  I would argue that most critics would agree in theory that it happens earlier rather than later.  However, they are so concerned with their image as careful judges that they won't follow through on that notion in practice.  Again, however, if the last ballot came in 15 minutes earlier each round, that would be another 45 minutes saved at the end of the day (it only matters to the tab room when the last ballot comes in for the last round of the day).

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Hanson<mailto:hansonjb at whitman.edu>
  To: EDebate Listserv<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] A different kind of elephant

  what gary says below is right. unfortunately, i'm not sure what we can do
  about it. the "solutions" have drawbacks that the community, including me,
  would oppose. and, frankly, that is the problem with these kinds of issues.
  enough people like aspects of things as they are that they aren't willing to
  change (see hotel thread, see tournament fees thread, see . . .). so, yea,
  i'm part of the problem but i do offer a suggestion below. of course, enough
  people will oppose my suggestion and enough will, i'm guessing, oppose other
  "solutions" or "ideas," so nothing will really be done even though i'm also
  guessing virtually everyone responded to gary's message by saying, at least
  in part, "yea, days are really long at these tournaments." and, so we will
  continue doing what we do with its costs intact.

  --ending oral decisions would undermine that educational and very popular
  aspect (written ballots just do not replace oral decisions)--and i'm not
  sure that is an even large part of the problem, since, after the last ballot
  is in, 5+ minutes later, the pairing is out and the teams start moving to
  their next round so the oral decision is truncated in those late rounds
  anyway. (gary just pointed this out as i was writing this)

  --returning to 8-3-5-8 prep. let's see the groundswell of support for that.
  :) i remember being at the ceda exec meeting where we voted to switch to
  9-3-6-10 and there were multiple promises that we could just make things
  more efficient and thereby not increase the length of the day. yea. that
  move, while having its rationale, means an extra 48 minutes a day with a 4
  round tournament.

  --having 6 round tournaments. that can be good--but not for ceda nats, the
  ndt, nor mega tournaments with 100+ teams. you need to sort teams out with
  powermatching and make the long day of travel worth it to go to that
  tournament.

  --i will throw in my semi-annual comment on this subject: start days later.
  i can handle 13-14 hour days. i cannot handle 13-14 hour days with the
  massive switch in timing i undergo at national tournaments. i'm not
  alone--though like i said above . . .

  anyway, why do we have pairings at 7am (and even earlier)? for those of us
  from the west--that is 4 or 5am our time at east coast/midwest tournaments.
  we are then expected to handle these 13 to 14 hour days. it is very, very
  tough. what students are regularly up at 6am anyway? what students are
  regularly up at 4am? are most coaches up at these hours normally? why do we
  do this to ourselves? wouldn't a schedule starting at 10am--even though
  ending nearer to midnight each day--with food available be much better
  attuned to our normal sleeping schedules? (and if food is your issue, let's
  be honest--getting food after the last round of the day with the current
  schedules is already pretty much confined to pizza or fast food anyway)

  i know i am talking into the wind--i couldn't even get a rule for ceda nats
  that pairings wouldn't be released before 7am/8am passed (it ended in a
  tie). but, i'm saying it again because i believe it.

  jim :)
  hansonjb at whitman.edu<mailto:hansonjb at whitman.edu>