[eDebate] Campus Speaking areas

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Apr 18 13:19:07 CDT 2006

Similar experience at WVU.  Free speech zone was initiated by University and opposed by ACLU.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Morris, Eric R<mailto:EricMorris at MissouriState.edu>
  To: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] Campus Speaking areas

  It could be sweet, but it also has the risk of abuse. A lot of our
  school's controversy with the "free speech zone" is the implication that
  controversial speech should be LIMITED to that zone.

  I also know of a case where students protesting a president visiting
  campus were relegated to the "free speech zone" (temporarily
  constructed), which was designed to be out of sight and not visible to
  media coverage. They were functionally detained in that zone until the
  president left, under threat of arrest. Security removed all posters,
  etc., as people entered the secure area, and then handed out campaign
  signs for the president instead.

  Dr. Eric Morris
  Asst Prof of Communication
  Director of Forensics