[eDebate] Scouting & the 2 Worker rule.

Jean-Paul Lacy lacyjp
Wed Apr 19 22:45:07 CDT 2006

Two issues: Scouting and the "NDT Worker" rule.

1. SCOUTING: We don't have enough.

The scouting directors are tasked with scouting the most important
tournament of the year with a set of people they have never worked with
before, many of  whom are inexperienced at their task.

This is *not* the Wake Forest Tournament where we have a unified set of
individuals who'se job is to scout debates (after keeping rooms intact,
tracking down judges, helping teams & their tubs to their rounds, starting
debates, making sure coffee is made, cleaning up messes...)

The NDT scouts *do* have obligations to their individual squads. Once the
system is seen as imperfect, squads begin making their own scouting
assignments.

Solution: Accountable scout assignment.

Each team shows up with with a scout obligated for 4 rounds (Plus one round
beyond their squads participation.) (Yes, you could overwork your regular
judges for this purpose.) (District 'volunteerism' didn't work well at
Northwestern--Hopes were that it would, since travel to Northwestern was
cheaper.) Each scout is required to show up to their assigned rounds. (With
penalties -- like "your squads caselist password dies if your scout doesn't
get a report in on schedule." I know its another giant hassle for the
scouting directors, but it may be the easiest remedy we have.) My intuition
is to trust the scouting directors with their assignments once they have
figured out who does the best possible scouting for each debate given the
constraints they have.

"Official scout" badges: They seem a little silly, but they would help.
Oftentimes, I was at a loss as to who to lend assistance to with scouting:
I felt like I could make a contribution, but arriving 30 seconds before a
debate began (entirely my fault,) I didn't feel it appropriate to run
around yelling "who is the assigned scout???" In the situations that I did
arrive in time to figure out who the 'Official scout' was, I felt like I
could get the other scouts to cooperate with them to collect the necessary
& relevant information (Otherwise, the usual 'feeding frenzy' took place,
with the official scout perhaps winding up at the end of the line.)

I know: It is not fair for small squads to have to fly/house/feed an extra
person to the tournament. Maybe cooperative arrangements could be made:
Many larger squads who bring extra undergrads could balance the educational
and competitive benefit they get from an extra person at the tournament and
balance those costs with needier squads (Like -- We're bringing this person
anyway, you pay for 2 rounds of scouting by covering half the observer
rate.) Maybe some fees could be reduced for those scouting (if possible,
given catering constraints.) Maybe there are some other ways we can make
the system work better.

2. "NDT WORKERS:" There is no enforcement for this rule. If y'all want it
enforced, it should be amended. [Personally, I'm just concerned with how we
will comply with the spirit of the rule, but there is a loophole.]

The rule stats "The Chair of the NDT committee will publicize violations..."

But, there is *no* provision that states "anyone who 'researches and/or
writes any arguments during the tournament' who is *not* designated as an
"NDT Worker" is in violation of the rule."

Hence, any school using un-designated "NDT Workers" is *not* in violation
of the rule.

No malice, no violation, no punishment, no publication...

--JP Lacy
lacyjp at wfu.edu