[eDebate] The Luphole Amendment

Michael Eber eber
Thu Apr 20 09:41:02 CDT 2006

Thanks to Jon Paul for the "Luphole" Amendment.

I think Kevin is right--the new rule that passed DOES NOT limit workers to
two. It merely requires that schools make their workers judge or scout and
that they tell the NDT who their workers are.

Mancuso's proposal *on its own* would have limited workers to two. However,
the Lupo proposal--which was tacked onto the end as section d--functionally
nullifies the hard cap provision because it allows "other" individuals to
coach in whatever way they see fit as long as they are a judge or scout.

This is obviously not outcome that some on the Committee were hoping for,
but I'm not the first one to accuse this attempt of clumsiness.

If I am wrong, please explain to me why the following scenario is not
entirely legitimate:

Suppose that BIGSCHOOL has 3 teams at the 2007 NDT.
They designate two non-undergraduate NDT workers who judge four rounds each.
They bring seven other judges who judge four rounds each.
Nine total judges are there to cover the 36 round commitment.
All nine cut cards, two as "NDT Workers" and seven as "other individuals who
provide scouting or significant coaching".

Mike