[eDebate] Changing the NDT Worker Rule

Paul Johnson paulj567
Thu Apr 20 13:16:19 CDT 2006

This point of Mike's is huge- at Pitt we had lots of
talented coaches who only had time to do work AT the
tournament (because they taught multiple classes and
also had responsibilities as graduate students). the
only time they could sit down and cut some cards was
at the tournament in between debates or during ones
that they weren't judging. Young graduate assistants
are often the coaches most likely to sit down and cut
a heaping helping of evidence because they are barely
removed from debating themselves, but because of
professional obligations often stretch themselves thin
doing work. If they can't do a ton of work all year
and THEN can't work at the tournament it seems to
really jack programs that rely on graduate students as
assistants- being attached to a comm program is a
double edged sword- you can get some talented people
who have academic interests to coach your team, but
you often dont have the funding needed to bring in a
full time assistant- we're lucky at wake to have the
resources to have the Gravy Man. but schools like
Pitt, GMU, Miami of Ohio, USC and Wayne <to name a
very few of many> heavily rely on graduate student
coaches. some of these schools also have VERY small
teams meaning their student worker contingent wouldnt
be very large/helpful, as opposed to a team that goes
10 deep like Emory or Wake Forest. Since no one wants
to believe that these teams are totally screwed to
begin with, we should certainly not try to make the
NDT more asymetrical.

-PJ