[eDebate] New Community College Program Announcement

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Thu Apr 20 13:22:56 CDT 2006

I can't help but draw a contrast between this post and Andy's earlier announcement (on the one hand), and the flood of posts on how to help the have-nots at places like Miami of Ohio and Pitt on the other hand.  If the concern is inequality of resources in debate, I'm not sure that the focus should be on the relative (and very real) inequities between programs that regularly attend the NDT.

Now back to whether Steve M. is evil (I vote negative).
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Weston, Marna<mailto:marna.weston at sfcc.edu>
  To: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Cc: marna.weston at sfcc.edu<mailto:marna.weston at sfcc.edu>
  Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:14 PM
  Subject: [eDebate] New Community College Program Announcement

  Debate team 'reconstituted'

  Gainesville, Florida's Santa Fe Community College (SFCC) will have an active,
  competitive, traveling Speech and Debate Team again starting in Fall 2006.
  Students from all Santa Fe campuses are eligible to join. The program will
  offer regional and national travel.

  Over the 2006 summer terms, the Speech and Debate team will offer training
  sessions in the 15 Speech and Debate events we will compete in (and possibly
  inter-squad scrimmages with some of our peer educational institutions). Many
  students will have some previous experience in formalized public speaking from
  participation in civic organizations, places of worship, or school clubs, such
  as high school forensics, drama, 4H, FBLA, Student Government, dual enrollment
  in SPC 2600 at SFCC or American Legion Boys and Girls State, however, no
  previous experience is necessary.

  Contact: Marna Weston, Speech and Debate Faculty Adviser,
  marna.weston at sfcc.edu<mailto:marna.weston at sfcc.edu> or, 395-5323 ext. 6327