[eDebate] Worker Rule

Scott Herndon scottaherndon
Thu Apr 20 17:00:34 CDT 2006

I've been following along but I honestly can't remember if anyone has made
this argument yet, so forgive me if I'm rehashing a little. If the rule is 2
card cutters / coaches what about schools with three teams? Does one team
not get a coach? How should programs prioritize such a matter? X team has a
better chance in X round so write off the "lower" teams? We are kidding
ourselves if we think as a community we'll take qualifying team to the NDT
and choose to not coach them (while we do feed, board, and pay dues, entries
etc for them...never mind that they are contributing members of the team
that we should WANT to work hard to make the NDT the best possible and most
competitive possible experience for those teams).

If you are reading this and thinking: "yeah, but UTD only has one team
qualify, usually..." bite your tongue. That may currently be the case, but
it assumes that we (and I assume other schools that are traditionally
classified as "small schools") desire to stay that way. One day UTD will
have 2 then 3 teams at the NDT and I want to work in an environment where I
can reasonably coach all three of them. Anyway, Burk already handled the
speaking for UTD arguments rather nicely, so I won't go on.

I agree with most of the other criticism of the rule as well (can't enforce,
fuzzy on what constitutes argument construction, etc...) but I think it is
more workable and makes more competitive sense if we at least examine the
number 2. Personally, I like Eber's 40 round suggestion; it seems to solve a
lot of the problems of hired armies of researchers at the NDT while
continuing to honor the contribution of full time coaches to the team with
the add-on of not punishing schools that are attempting to grow their
coaching staff.

Scott Herndon
UTD