[eDebate] A call to lower entry fees

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Thu Apr 27 19:57:30 CDT 2006

A concept which has been helpful for me in thinking about these issues as a
tournament host is a menu that includes basics plus other options.  What are
the core things we need when we go to tournaments?  Rounds, opportunities to
eat and sleep, some recognition of results.  That's the bare bones.  If you
can provide these core things and keep them affordable then people who want
more can opt for them on their own.

If you want to treat your teams to a special dinner, go ahead.  If really
nice material awards are important to your program then buy them.  You'll
have saved a bunch of money on entry fees and can afford these things.  Its
a lot harder to opt out of awards ('uh, can we cash in this 8th place
speaker award, please?') or fancy food (the exxon station won't trade your
eggplant parmesan for a tank of gas).  Now people can opt in or out of
hotels.  If we want to keep having banquets, lets try and make it easier to
opt out of them without becoming a pariah or a spectacle.

We have some really nice norms and standards of graciousness and hospitality
in our community.  I'm not making an argument against keeping some of them -
we should just realize that our norms might be different if there wasn't
such a substantial entry barrier.  If you don't have $1,000 to spend a
weekend then you don't come.  If it only cost $200 then more of the people
who came might be willing to take an email to their department chair in
place of a marble plaque.  More people might be happy eating PBJs and apples
than you'd think.  It's nice to have nice things but its better to have more
opportunities.

Beth Skinner
Towson Debate