[eDebate] A call to lower entry fees

Darren Elliott delliott
Fri Apr 28 19:55:57 CDT 2006

Well put!  This discussion should be taking place on a broader level.  I will see what I can do to get it on the agenda for the summer meeting.

thanks Beth and others!

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 2nd VP Elect

>>> "Beth Skinner" <beth.skinner at gmail.com> 4/27/2006 7:57:30 PM >>>

A concept which has been helpful for me in thinking about these issues as a tournament host is a menu that includes basics plus other options.  What are the core things we need when we go to tournaments?  Rounds, opportunities to eat and sleep, some recognition of results.  That's the bare bones.  If you can provide these core things and keep them affordable then people who want more can opt for them on their own.

If you want to treat your teams to a special dinner, go ahead.  If really nice material awards are important to your program then buy them.  You'll have saved a bunch of money on entry fees and can afford these things.  Its a lot harder to opt out of awards ('uh, can we cash in this 8th place speaker award, please?') or fancy food (the exxon station won't trade your eggplant parmesan for a tank of gas).  Now people can opt in or out of hotels.  If we want to keep having banquets, lets try and make it easier to opt out of them without becoming a pariah or a spectacle.

We have some really nice norms and standards of graciousness and hospitality in our community.  I'm not making an argument against keeping some of them - we should just realize that our norms might be different if there wasn't such a substantial entry barrier.  If you don't have $1,000 to spend a weekend then you don't come.  If it only cost $200 then more of the people who came might be willing to take an email to their department chair in place of a marble plaque.  More people might be happy eating PBJs and apples than you'd think.  It's nice to have nice things but its better to have more opportunities.

Beth Skinner
Towson Debate

On 4/27/06, NEIL BERCH <berchnorto at msn.com> wrote: This is a key moment for many programs.  We will support Matt's request (and other goals) with the following fee structure for WVU's JV/Novice Nationals:
1.  Free entry for all teams from any program that hosts a tournament in 2006-07 with fees of less than $50 per team (I have visions of someone charging $49.95).
2.  Free entry for all teams from any program that supports the Towson initiative by entering at least two teams in at least three of the Towson tournaments.
3.  Free entry for all teams from any program that is in its first or second year.
4.  In other cases, entry (which will cover light breakfasts and more substantial lunches on both Saturday and Sunday, snacks throughout the day on both of those days, a light lunch on Monday at the hotel either before or after quarters, the return of the famed pottery awards to all outround teams as well as the top 20 speakers in each division, some other awards, and rental costs for the hotel conference space for outrounds) will be $90 per team with normal judging coverage ( 3.5 rounds per team for the 7 round tournament).
5.  However, even there, you will have an out.  If you don't qualify for any of the above fee waivers, you can still get your fees waived by offering extra judging.  If you offer 6 rounds of qualified judging (means people who have judged at least 12 rounds during the year) per team (instead of 3.5), we will waive your fees.  More directly, we will buy extra judging for the tournament at the rate of $35 per round.  We are doing this to increase the quality of the pool, to give you better preferences, and to allow you a way to trade labor for capital (at a very generous rate).

We will not, however, be able to flatten our campus, no matter how much extra judging you offer.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University