[eDebate] Cal Season Opener Invitation 9/23-9/25

gregachten at berkeley.edu gregachten
Tue Aug 1 17:01:24 CDT 2006

Greetings,

Below is the invitation for the fall Cal tournament. We are hosting this
tournament in addition to the traditional Spring Cal tournment which will
occur January 13-15. This tournament is taking the place of the
traditional Fresno and Santa Clara tournaments and will most likely be
more regional in character. If you are planning on attending you should
make hotel reservations ASAP as the cut off date for our block is August
22. If you have any questions please let me know,

Greg

August 1, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

The University of California, Berkeley is pleased to announce the Cal
Season Opener and the Cal-Biola Individual Events Swing September 23-25,
2006 to be held on the UC Berkeley cam-pus. This will be full service
tournament offering two preliminary rounds in all 11 AFA individ-ual
events (both novice and open when possible) at each half of the swing, two
divisions of NPDA Parliamentary Debate, and three divisions of policy
debate. We will have six debate pre-lims and the appropriate number of
out-rounds. Competitors wishing to compete in both parlia-mentary debate
and IE?s will be able to compete in the first half of the IE swing and in
parlia-mentary debate in the second half.
The IE Swing and Parliamentary debate tournament will occur on Sept 22-23,
while the elimina-tion rounds for policy debate will not conclude until
September 23rd and will be held at the Berkeley Courtyard Marriott, the
tournament hotel. Breakfast will be provided on campus on both Saturday
and Sunday.

I am very pleased that we are able to host this event this year. The
invitation below should an-swer most of your questions, but if you are in
need of additional information please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Greg Achten
Tournament Director/Co-Director of Debate
gregachten at berkeley.edu
818-357-8424

Tournament Information:

Tournament Hotel: We are using the Richmond/Berkeley Courtyard Marriott.
NOTE, this is not the same hotel we use for our Spring College and High
School tournaments. The hotel is located at 3150 Garrity Way, Richmond, CA
and is right across the street from a large mall, a movie theater and
several restaurants are within easy walking distance. The rate for the
event is $94 per night, which is great for the area and particularly
during a home Cal Football game. MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW. The rate will only
be honored until August 22. To make reserva-tions call 1-800-321-2211 and
ask for reservations under the block name ?Speech/Debate Tour-nament? code
?BSDS?. The direct number for the hotel is 1-510-262-0700. The website for
the hotel, including directions is:
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/OAKCY

Parking: Parking on or near the Cal campus frankly sucks. It is hard to
find and
very expensive and will be even worse this weekend as there is a home
football game on Satur-day. I am working on a parking solution and if I am
able to secure parking permits I will email everyone in advance. For now,
plan on paying approximately $20 per day, per vehicle to park in a pay lot
near campus and I will email registrants if I am able to secure on campus
parking.

Campus Policies: The Berkeley Campus is a smoke-free campus. There is no
smoking in
ANY building on campus. PLEASE abide by this policy so that we may
continue to use these facilities in subsequent years. The Berkeley campus
is also a drug and alcohol free campus.

Entry Information: Online entry is required at www.debateresults.com

Tab Room: The tab room will be run by myself (Greg Achten), Jon Bruschke
and Erick Roebuck of Biola. Glen Frappier will also assist in tabulation
and any errors will be blamed on him.

Policy/Parliamentary Information:

Hybrids/Mavericks: Hybrid teams and maverick debaters will be allowed on a
case by
case basis.

Fees: Fees will be $70 per team.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide one judge per two teams they
bring. Each
judge will be obligated through the quarterfinals or one round beyond the
elimination of their team. We have some hired judges that we can provide,
but not many. Hired judges will be given on a first come, first served
basis at a fee of  $150 per uncovered team. We are not trying to make
money on hired judges. We would much rather have your judges than your
money. If you have extra judges available from your school please let me
know as we would probably like to hire them. We will use preference/strike
sheets for prelims and elims in the varsity division of policy debate. All
judges are expected to render a decision in a timely fashion and designate
one, and only one, team as the winner of the debate. Points may be awarded
in full and half point in-crements only.

For parliamentary debate the tournament will abide by NCFA rules/guidelines.

Questions: If you need to get in touch with me, please call or email
Home: 510-260-0129
Mobile: 818-357-8424
Email: gregachten at berkeley.edu

POLICY SCHEDULE
September 23, 2006 - Saturday
8:00 AM Registration on campus in Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145: Pairings released
on campus: continental breakfast on campus
9:00 AM Round 1
12:00 PM Round 2
2:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
3:00 PM Round 3
6:00 PM Round 4

September 24, 2006 - Sunday
9:00 AM Round 5 pairings released on campus and at Marriott: continental
breakfast on campus
10:00 AM Round 5
12:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
1:30 PM Round 6
5:00 PM Awards Ceremony in Dwinelle 145
6:00 PM First elimination round

September 25, 2006 - Monday
8:00 AM Pairings for elimination rounds released at Marriott
9:00 AM Subsequent elimination rounds begin and continue until the
tournament ends.

PARLI SCHEDULE
***Note ?Parli competitors may only do the first half of the IE swing***

September 23, 2006 ? Saturday
4:30 	Parli only registration (Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145)
5:30 	Parli Rd 1
7:00 	Parli Rd 2

September 24, 2006 - Sunday
8:00  	Parli Rd 3
9:30  	Parli Rd 4
11:00 	Parli Rd 5
12:30 	Lunch
1:30   	Parli Rd 6
3:30   	Parli Elim 1
5:00	Parli Awards
ASAP	Parli Elims Continue

IE INFORMATION
Events and Rules:
? Open and Novice IE?s will be offered in accordance with AFA-NIET rules.
? Students in their first year of collegiate competition are eligible for
novice division in IE?s.  Students with substantial high school experience
should be entered in open division.  We trust that directors will put
their students in the right division.
? We reserve the right to collapse open and novice divisions in small
events.  If we collapse divi-sions, we will recognize the top 3 novices
and possibly have breakout finals---depending on the judge pool.
? Students may enter triple enter in IE?s, UNLESS they are entered in
Extemp.  Extempers may only double enter in the extemp pattern.  All
double and triple-entered competitors assume the responsibility for making
it to their rounds on time.  We cannot average scores for a missed round.

? No materials used in competition shall have been used by the student in
intercollegiate competition prior to September 1, 2006.
? Per AFA rules, Biola and UC Berkeley students may compete in the IE
swing and will be eligi-ble to advance to final rounds, but will not be
eligible for sweepstakes awards.

IE Swing Sweeps Points

1st Place 		12 points
2nd Place 		10 points
3rd  Place 		8 points
4th  Place   	6 points
5th Place		5 points
6th and below	4 points

IE Fees
IE slots   			$10
Uncovered slots	$15

Please cover your judging commitment as we will have a limited amount of
judges available!   IE judges may not cover debate commitments and
vice-versa.

If you have any questions about the IE swing, feel free to contact Erick
Roebuck
Erick.roebuck at biola.edu.  Questions about the tournament site should
obviously be di-rected to Greg.

IE SCHEDULE

Tournament #1
September 23, 2006 ? Saturday
7:00   	Registration  (Dwinelle Hall ? Room 145)
7:45   	Extemp Draw
8:00   	A1 (Extemp, ADS, Prose, Poetry, Informative)
9:15	  	B2 (Duo, POI, Drama, CA, Impromptu, Persuasive)
10:30	Extemp Draw
10:45	A2
12:00	B2
1:15		Lunch on your own