[eDebate] Cornell Tournament Invite - 9/30 - 10/01 2006

James C Thomas jct44
Thu Aug 17 13:57:33 CDT 2006

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dear Colleagues:

The Cornell Forensics Society cordially invites you to attend the 2006
Russell D. Martin / Pam Stepp Invitational Policy Debate Tournament, to be
held Saturday, September 30th and Sunday, October 1st. The Tournament is
named for the late professor Martin, a longtime supporter of the CFS, and
Dr. Stepp, former Director of Forensics at Cornell.

This year?s tournament will be CEDA and SAMBA (Society Advocating More and
Better Argumentation) sanctioned and will offer Novice, Junior Varsity,
and Open divisions of policy debate. We will follow CEDA policies on
sexual harassment as well as the definition of Novice. We are in the
process of getting our tournament accredited for inclusion in the CEDA
rankings process. The topic will be the official CEDA 2006-2007 Courts
topic.

The tab room will be run by Katie Baxter-Kauf. Assisting Katie will be
Christy Webster and Vik Keenan.

Rounds will take place in the buildings around the Ag Quad.

We request that you enter the tournament using debateresults.com by
Thursday, September 28th. Tournament registration via debateresults.com
will be open within a couple of hours of the release of this invitation.

Please provide one judge with a full commitment to cover two teams. Entry
fees will be $70 for each covered team, and $120 for each uncovered team.

Each of the three divisions will have 6 preliminary rounds, followed by
the appropriate number of elimination rounds based on how many teams end
up entering the tournament. Cornell teams may enter the tournament, but
will not participate in elimination rounds.

We have secured blocks of rooms at two different hotels in the area. There
are other options, but these are the best.

(1)	The Country Inn & Suites, Cortland, NY
3707 Route 281 Cortland, NY 13045
Phone: (607) 753-8300 or 1-800-456-4000

THIS WILL BE THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT HOTEL.
Although the hotel is in Cortland, and 25 minutes away from the Cornell
campus, it is important to keep in mind that navigating from any of Ithaca
or Lansing?s hotels to campus usually takes about 15 minutes. You will
save about $20 staying here and it will only take an extra 10-15 minutes
of travel time from the hotel to the campus. Trust us, we measured and
confirmed all the mathematical intricacies of this as only we know how.

34 guest rooms blocked. Check-in time after 3:00pm, checkout time is noon.

Block is under the name Cornell Debate.

Arrival Date 9/29, Departure Date 10/1.

30 queen/queen standards @ $80 + tax
4 queen/queen suites @ $100 + tax.
Rollaways $15/night.

PLEASE NOTE: All reservations must be made by September 19th.
Cancellations must be made 72 hours prior to arrival date.

(2)	Comfort Inn, Ithaca, NY

356 Elmira Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 272-0100

30 Rooms available @ $99. Reservations must be made by August 29th.
Mention Cornell Debate to get the $99 rate.

Tenative tournament schedule:

Friday, September 29th:

8:00pm-10:00pm Early Registration, Lobby of the Country Inn and Suites in
Cortland (location/details listed above)

Saturday, September 30th:

7:00am-8:00 Late Registration, Warren Hall, room B45. Donuts, Coffee,
Bagels, etc. Pairings released around 7:30.
8:00-10:00 ? Round 1
10:00-12:00 ? Round 2
12:00pm-1:30 Lunch (provided), round 3 and 4 pairings released.
1:30-3:30 ? Round 3
3:30-5:30 ? Round 4
5:30-7:00 ? Dinner (provided), round 5 pairings released
7:00 ? Round 5

Sunday, October 1st:
Pairings will be posted on Edebate in the morning (around 7:00 ideally)
7:30am ? Breakfast
8:00 ? 10:00 ? Round 6
11:00 ? 1:00 ? First Elimination Round
1:15 ? Awards Ceremony
Elimination rounds continue after awards as appropriate/necessary.

Beautiful and detailed maps of the campus are available at
http://www.cornell.edu/maps/.

For further information please contact Assistant Director of Forensics,
Mr. James Thomas at jct44 at cornell.edu or 678.644.1069.

We look forward to hosting you this year in Ithaca!

Sincerely,

Sam Nelson
Director of Forensics

James Thomas