[eDebate] M. Jack Parker Invitational, Oct. 6-8

WoodyardKM at aol.com WoodyardKM
Tue Aug 22 20:13:15 CDT 2006

August 22, 2006
Dear  Colleague,
On behalf of NIU Forensics  and the Department of Communication at Northern
Illinois University, it is our distinct pleasure to invite you to attend to
the annual M. Jack Parker Invitational Debate Tournament on our campus October
6-8, 2006.  In  keeping with last year, we will offer competition in both
policy team debate and  parliamentary debate.  Our  tournament is CEDA, NPDA, and
TPS sanctioned.
The tournament will feature  six preliminary rounds of policy debate
competition using the 2006-2007 CEDA/NDT  topic with 9-3-6-10 time limits.  We  will
offer policy competition in Novice and Open divisions, reserving the right  to
collapse divisions should entries merit.
Parliamentary debate  competition in both Novice and Open divisions will be
held on Friday and  Saturday only.  Our hope is that  this change from last
year will make the M. Jack Parker a more attractive and  cost-effective
parliamentary debate opportunity.  As in the policy debate competition,  there will be
six preliminary rounds and an appropriate number of elimination  rounds for
each parliamentary division.
This year, our  parliamentary tournament will enjoy the sanctioning of The
People Speak (TPS),  an initiative promoting dialogue and debate on the role of
United  States in  the world.  TPS 2006 will focus on  the theme of ?Working
Together with the  World; What?s in it for the U.S.??  Accordingly, two (2) of
our preliminary  round topics and our final round topic will be drawn from
the following  topic areas:
?         Peace, Security and Human  Rights
?         Energy and Global Climate  Change
?         Millennium Development Goals
Other preliminary and  elimination round topics will address current affairs
or philosophy and will be  of a nature that ?a well educated college student
can debate them,? as required  by the NPDA rules of debating.
We look forward to hosting  a friendly, competitive, and smooth-running
tournament.  We hope that you will join us in  DeKalb.  Until then, please do not
hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or  concerns.
Sincerely,
Kerith Woodyard  (815-753-7101; kwoodyard at niu.edu)
Director of Forensics

Mark Zalewski

Assistant Coach of  Debate
Kevin  Malone
President, NIU  Forensics

2006 M.  JACK PARKER DEBATE INVITATIONAL
TOURNAMENT DETAILS
Tournament Hotels:
A block of rooms has been reserved at both the Super 8  and the Best Western.
 Ask for ?NIU  Debate? when making reservations.
               Super 8*                                              $69.98 /
room (quad occupancy)
               800 W. Fairview                                   20 double
rooms available for Friday & Saturday
               Dekalb, IL 60115                                  Reservation
Deadline:  September 15th
               (815) 748-4699                                    *All rooms
feature free wireless Internet!

               Best Western Inn & Suites                $75.00 / room (double
occupancy)
               1212 W Lincoln Highway                      20 double rooms
available for Friday
               DeKalb, IL 60115                                 10 double
rooms available for Saturday
               (815) 758-8661                                    Reservation
Deadline:  September 22nd

Please make your reservations as soon as possible!  There is a home football
game scheduled for this weekend and DeKalb hotels will sell out.  After the
reservation deadlines specified above, the ?NIU Debate? blocks will be released
to the public and will fill quickly through general reservations.
Other accommodations in DeKalb include:
Baymont Inn                             Travelodge
   Holmes  Student  Center
1314 W. Lincoln  Hwy.             1116  W. Lincoln Hwy.             On-Campus
 Guest Rooms
DeKalb,  IL  60115                    DeKalb, IL  60115
DeKalb, IL  60115
(815) 748-4800                       (815) 756-3398
(815) 753-1444
Other hotels in nearby Sycamore include:
Holiday Inn  Express                  Americas Best Value Inn
Country Inn & Suites
1935 DeKalb  Ave.                   1860 DeKalb Ave                    1450
South Peace Rd.
Sycamore,  IL  60178                Sycamore, IL  60178
Sycamore, IL  60178
(815) 748-7400                       (815) 899-6500
(815) 895-8686
Directions to the  University
>From the East (Indiana/Ohio): Enter  Illinois  some  way  that  can  connect
you  to  294 North (most  use  80 West).  Take  294 N  to  88 West  to
Aurora.  You  will  pass  through  Oak  Brook,  Naperville/Wheaton, and  Aurora
before  you  will  see  signs  for  NIU.  Take  Annie Glidden Road  to  the
campus.  Once  at  Lincoln  Highway  (after  going  under  the  train  bridge)
proceed  through  the  intersection  and  drive two blocks looking on  your
right  for  the  Field  House  (dome-like athletic  building).  Turn  right at
the Field House onto Lucinda  Avenue.  Take the next right onto University
Circle Drive and park in the parking  lot at the immediate right.  DuSable  Hall
is located south/southeast of the parking area. (The busses  stop  at  the
front  of  DuSable Hall,  after  they  drive  around  the  circular  drive  to
the  east  of  the  Field  House  parking  lot).  If you are going directly to
the Best  Western on your way into town, turn left onto Lincoln  Highway and
the hotel will be on your  left.
>From the West (Iowa): Enter  Illinois  from  80/88 headed  East  until  it
turns  to  88.  Take  88 to  NIU.  Take  Annie Glidden Road  to  the  campus.
Once  at  Lincoln  Highway  (after  going  under  the  train  bridge)  proceed
 through  the  intersection  and  drive two blocks looking on  your  right
for  the  Field  House  (dome-like athletic  building).  Turn  right at the
Field House onto Lucinda  Avenue.  Take the next right onto University Circle
Drive and park in the parking  lot at the immediate right.  DuSable  Hall is
located south/southeast of the parking area. (The busses  stop  at  the  front  of
 DuSable Hall,  after  they  drive  around  the  circular  drive  to  the
east  of  the  Field  House  parking  lot).  If you are going directly to  the
Best Western on your way into town, turn left onto  Lincoln Highway and the
hotel will be on your left.
>From the South (Southern Illinois/St, Louis/Normal): Take  55 to  39 North,
to  88 East  to  NIU.  Take  Annie Glidden Road  to  the  campus.  Once  at
Lincoln  Highway  (after  going  under  the  train  bridge)  proceed  through
the  intersection  and  drive two blocks looking on your  right  for  the
Field  House  (big  dome-like athletic  building).  Turn  right at the Field
House onto Lucinda  Avenue.  Take the next right onto University Circle Drive and
park in the parking  lot at the immediate right.  DuSable  Hall is located
south/southeast of the parking area. (The busses  stop  at  the  front  of
DuSable Hall,  after  they  drive  around  the  circular  drive  to  the  east  of
the  Field  House  parking  lot).  If you are going directly to  the Best
Western on your way into town, turn left onto  Lincoln Highway and the  hotel
will be on your left.
>From the North (Wisconsin): Take  39 South  to  Route  38 (Lincoln  Highway)
to  DeKalb.  Take  38 East  to  Annie Glidden Road.  Turn  left (north) onto
Annie Glidden and  drive two blocks looking on  your  right  for  the  Field
House  (big  dome-like athletic  building).  Turn  right at the Field House
onto Lucinda  Avenue.  Take the next right onto University Circle Drive and park
in the parking  lot at the immediate right.  DuSable  Hall is located
south/southeast of the parking area. (The busses  stop  at  the  front  of  DuSable
Hall,  after  they  drive  around  the  circular  drive  to  the  east  of  the
 Field  House  parking  lot).  If you are going directly to  the Best Western
on your way into town, you will find it on 38  (Lincoln Highway) on the
right-hand side before you reach Annie Glidden.
Fees and Judges:
$55.00 for each debate team.  A very limited number of hired judges  may be
available at a rate of $90.00 for each uncovered debate team.  (Each judge
covers two debate  teams).  Please make every effort to  cover your judging
commitment.  Team  drops at registration incur a $20.00 fee, and judge drops at
registration incur  a $40.00 fee, in addition to the cost of hiring a new judge.
All judges are expected to judge one  round beyond their team?s exit from the
tournament.
Events:
While we are pleased to offer competition in both  policy and parliamentary
debate, individual teams can compete in only one debate  format as these policy
and parliamentary rounds run concurrently.
The parliamentary debate divisions will be  run according to the ?NPDA
Guidelines of Debating and Judging? (see
<http://cas.bethel.edu/dept/comm/npda/npdarules.html>.  Please note that these guidelines  specify that ?judges should
not give oral comments before the ballot is  completed and returned to the
tournament director? (5A).  If judges wish to offer feedback to  debaters, they
may do so on a voluntary basis at the designated ?warm room?  area.  However, ?
debaters or coaches  will refrain from requesting that judges reveal decisions?
 (5C).    Topics for each round will  be attached to the judges? ballots and
shall be announced to teams at the  scheduled time in their designated
competition room.  After the topic announcement, students  will have fifteen minutes
preparation time.
Entries/Deadline:
Please email entries to _kwoodyard at niu.edu_ (mailto:kwoodyard at niu.edu)  or
fax the attached entry form to my attention at  805-753-7109 by Tuesday, October
3 at 5:00pm (Central).  Early entries are always  appreciated.
Tournament Schedule
FRIDAY, October 6
1:00pm ?  3:00pm  Registration,  Front Lobby, DuSable Hall
4:00 pm Round  I:  Policy Debate
4:00 pm Round  I: Parliamentary Debate
5:30 pm Round  II:  Parliamentary  Debate
6:00 pm Round  II:  Policy Debate
7:00 pm Round  III: Parliamentary Debate
SATURDAY, October 7
8:00am Continental Breakfast, DuSable Hall
9:00am Round III:  Policy  Debate
9:00am Round IV:  Parliamentary Debate
10:30am Round V:  Parliamentary Debate
11:00am Round IV:  Policy  Debate
12:00pm  Round VI:  Parliamentary Debate
1:00pm Lunch  Break
2:15pm  Round V:  Policy Debate
2:30pm  Parliamentary Debate Awards
3:00pm  Elimination Round I:  Parliamentary Debate
4:15pm Round  VI:  Policy Debate
4:30pm  Elimination Round II:  Parliamentary Debate
5:30pm  Elimination Round III:  Parliamentary Debate
SUNDAY, October 8
7:30am Continental Breakfast, DuSable Hall
8:00am Elimination Round I: Policy Debate
10:30am  Policy  Awards
11:15am  Elimination Round II: Policy Debate
1:15pm  Lunch Break
2:00pm  Elimination Round III:  Policy  Debate

M. Jack Parker  Invitational Debate Tournament
October 6-8, 2006

School:
Director / Coach:
Email & Phone:

Policy Debate Entries
Teams
Division
(print first and last name for each competitor)
                 (circle  one)
1.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
2.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
3.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
4.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
5.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
6.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
Parliamentary Debate  Entries
Teams
Division
(print first and last name for each competitor)
                 (circle one)
1.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
2.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
3.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
4.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
5.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open
6.   ___________________     __________________                     Novice
            Open

Judges
Name                                           Format
   Division                   Commitment
(Policy / Parli)                    (Novice / Open)               (Full /
Half)

*Please  note any judging conflicts (i.e. any critics that should not judge
particular  competitors at other schools.