[eDebate] 51st Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament Invite - Emporia State University

Samuel Maurer chairman.maurer
Thu Aug 24 21:52:08 CDT 2006

Dear Community,

  On behalf of Emporia State University, the Department of Communication and
Theatre, and Hornet Debate, it is my privilege to invite you to the
51st Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament in Emporia, KS. The
tournament will be held Oct 21-23, 2006 with Registration at the
tournament hotel, Holiday Inn Express, on October 20th.

  We are pleased to be offering 6 rounds of debate in Open, Junior Varsity
and novice divisions. We know many prefer an 8 round format, however, we
believe that a 6 round format encourages wellness (and sleep). Final round
schedule will depend on entries and facilities. We will make every effort
to keep divisions separate, but again, divisions are entry dependent.
A final schedule
will follow closer to the tournament date.

  We believe we offer a fine slate of competition in the Midwest tradition,
as well as great hospitality, as some of you who have been here before can
attest. We will continue that hospitality and then some.

  We do have one concern and that is hotel space. Emporia has
become a favorite for regional soccer meets and just such one is happening
on the chosen weekend, all month actually. Therefore hotel space is at a
premium. I hope everyone takes advantage of this opportunity to grab hotel
rooms early.

  We do hope you will join us here in October to help celebrate our
tournament.

Sincerely,

Sam Maurer
Director of Debate
smaurer at emporia.edu
(620) 341-5705 office
(509) 270-1507 cell

James Taylor
Assistant Director of Debate

Dustin Rimmey
University Activities Coordinator

Chad Woolard
Academic Secretary

LODGING INFORMATION - MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON.

TOURNAMENT HOTEL ? The block will be released on October 6th, the
block is reserved under ESU Debate or group code ESD.

The Holiday Inn Express - 2921 W 18th Avenue (620) 341-9393 $79.00

We have made arrangements for a 79.00 rate for this hotel. That includes
several "suites" with two queens, and sleeper couches for the same
rate! First come, first served.

I am told that all rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, and that a pool
and continental breakfasts are available. Pairings will be put out at this
hotel.

NOTE - the good news is a majority of the block is suites, the bad
news is about 1/4 of the block is Kings. No choice here, it was the
best of all options, many of the suites can accommodate many bodies.

OVERFLOW HOTELS

OVERFLOW ? Travelodge & Conference Center - 2700 W. 18th Avenue
          (620) 343-2200.  The block is reserved under ESU Debate.

We have made arrangements for a 55.00 rate for this hotel.

The overflow block will only be held officially until October 2nd. After that
you can probably still get the block rate if rooms are still
available. Many more doubles
available.

Fairfield Inn-- right next door to the tournament hotel. (620) 342-4445
No overflow block, but sometimes they can work you in.

Budget Host Inn - 1830 East Highway 50 (620)343-6922 Rate: Cheap, like $40
or so, call and ask for a corporate discount. This is the cheap hotel.
Its not officially an overflow hotel, but teams have stayed here in
the past to save money. Its not pretty, but it's not bad.

Need more hotels? email and ask.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

TRANSPORTATION: Emporia is located at the major highway junction of I-335
and I-35. Those of you driving will have little trouble finding the
University or the hotel, as both are located within two blocks of
I-35. For those of you flying, the Emporia airport does have shuttle
service to KCI, but you will find flying into Kansas City
International Airport the cheapest option. ESU is unable to provide
shuttle
service to KCI airport. If you need help with directions of travel, do not
hesitate to email us.

GUIDELINES: The Pflaum will abide by all relevant CEDA guidelines on sexual
harassment and debater eligibility.

TOPIC: We will use the 2006-07 CEDA/NDT topic.

TIMES: 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep

DIVISIONS: We will offer Novice, Junior Varsity and Open levels of
competition, eligibility by CEDA guidelines. We reserve the right to collapse
divisions if entries warrant. We will try to preserve novice as a primary
concern.

AWARDS: will be awarded to the top 10 speakers in all divisions that
warrant, more if the numbers are there, less if not. Suitable awards will
be given to all out round participants.

SMOKING: ESU is a minimal smoking campus, smoking is allowed 25ft away
from buildings, we ask your help in enforcing this policy as well as
being aware of the mess smoking creates outside of buildings.

ELIMINATION ROUNDS: Will be held as per the CEDA formula, we anticipate at
least quarters in all divisions, octos in open.

ENTRY FEES: $80 per policy team.

JUDGING GUIDELINES: Each team is expected to provide one qualified judge
for every two teams entered. One team will equal a half commitment (3
rounds). Fees for uncovered teams will be $100, of course we would rather
have your judges than your money. We reserve the right to limit entries
based on available judges from any school. We do not have any judges
available locally for hire at this time (except JT who might be spoken for
already). We encourage you to post to edebate to get folks to come out of
the woodwork. If you have judges for hire, please let us know ASAP, and we
will get them hooked up with folks. Each judge is expected to render a
decision before the start time of the next round, in a timely manner, with
ONE team given the win. ALL JUDGES ARE OBLIGATED THROUGH THE FIRST
ELIM ROUND OR ONE ROUND PAST THE ELIMINATION OF THEIR SQUAD, Please
abide by that rule.

ENTRIES: We support the Brushke site, and entry ability should be up this
evening. Deadline for Entries is Wednesday, October 12th, please send them
in early so we can plan food.

Get your entries in ASAP.

ANTICIPATED SCHEDULE

Friday, October 20th

7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Registration, Holiday Inn Express (pairings may be released
at 10 p.m. or so for 1 and 2)

Saturday, October 21th
8 a.m. Pairing released (Holiday Inn Express, if not Friday)

9 a.m. ROUND ONE (Preset)

11:30 LUNCH (Lakeview cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND TWO (Preset)

4 p.m. ROUND THREE (Powered)

Sunday, October 22th
8 a.m. Pairings released (Holiday Inn Express)

9 a.m. ROUND FOUR (Powered)

11:30 LUNCH (Skyline cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND FIVE (Powered)

4 p.m. ROUND SIX (Powered)

7 p.m. Partials if necessary

THAT NIGHT - Hospitality, TBA

Monday, October 23th

7:30 a.m. Pairing released, Holiday Inn Express

8:30 a.m. Elim Round I

10:30 or ASAP Awards Assembly.

ASAP - remaining Elim rounds.