[eDebate] Some practical suggestions for amending the topic

E. Hunter Brooks E.Hunter.Brooks
Fri Aug 25 13:18:06 CDT 2006

I'm tired of all you radicals saying that just because the neg always wins we should do crazy stuff like talk about China (did we seri do that for a year?).

Nonetheless, something must be done to make people want to stay around after the coin-flip at elims.

Thus, how about a compromise: I propose one (or more) of the following three phrases be amended to the topic.

 1. "All negative rebuttals are shortened by 2 minutes. Extra 4
minutes are given to 1AR."

Advantages: gets rid of structural neg-bias, so all that is left
is topical neg-bias.
Disadvantages: The 1AR doesn't really have to drop anything, nor
does the 2NR really need 3, let alone 4, minutes, to win that the
counterplan solves the case and there are like 50 kritiks you
have no answer to and also omg politics and also ps you lose
cause youre aff and it's the 2006-2007 topic which how the hell
did this happen, seri.

2. "The negative can't read counterplans."

Advantages: Might make it only a 65-35 neg-biased topic. George
Washington can't say con-con.
Disadvantages: PICs key to focus the debate. Best policy option.
Aff has first and last speech, infinite prep. Aff gets the right
to define terms.

3. "The aff gets a free food prices advantage. The impact must
be Tampa Tribune in 96. The negative cannot impact turn, read
alternate causalities, or anything else that could brunt this
advantage. Counterplans that solve the case likewise cannot solve this
advantage."

Advantages: Any counterplan (ever) obviously solves the topical
part of the case, so the neg has to prove that the aff, on
balance, would kill more than 1/6th of the world. This is
something like a reasonable handicap in, say, golf.
Disadvantages: Neg gets free link to famine k even against a
desegregation aff.  Jessica Yeats appeals to Christian Children's
Fund's demand to feed the hungry in some neo-theology k aff that Dartmouth loses to real bad. Extinction is inevitable. Golf is classist. Unplayable misery burden. Davie is vap.