[eDebate] KCKCC Tour. Invite Oct. 13-15

Darren Elliott delliott
Tue Aug 29 02:03:44 CDT 2006

Friends,

Please plan on joining us in October for the 5th Annual Blue Devil
Debates. We plan to continue the tradition started three years ago in
honoring our judges and competitors with awards voted on by the
debaters. Additionally we will again present the Coaching Award and the
Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award. Last year's recipients were Matt Moore of  Augustana College winning the Coaching Award and Eric Morris of Missouri State
receiving the Leadership Award. I look forward to presenting this year's
awards as well. We may also be continuing a tradition of going out one
evening for a Night of Jazz or even Bowling with Coaches who are interested. Likewise just 3 miles to the West of campus is Village West. It has become the
entertainment, dining, and shopping mecca of Kansas and the Mid-West. It
has moved Kansas up 15 spots in tourism among all states
nationwide. Anything you could want to eat or buy is now available just
minutes from the Campus. I encourage everyone to check it out--especially
BBQ fans! : )

Thanks,
Chief

August 2006
Dear Colleagues:
On behalf of Kansas City Kansas Community College, Blue Devil Debate, and
the Humanities and Fine Arts Division, it is my pleasure to invite you and
your students to the 5th annual KCKCC Debate Tournament. The debate
tournament will be held Friday October 13th through Sunday October 15th on
the KCKCC campus in Kansas City, Kansas. Registration for the tournament
will be on Friday at the college. In this invitation you will find the
necessary hotel information, schedule, and entry form. Please call for
your rooms now as rooms in KC are hard to come by.
We will be offering three divisions of policy debate on the current
CEDA/NDT topic for 2006-2007. You may submit teams in Open, JV, and Novice
divisions. We will break to an appropriate number of elims in each
division and will do everything within reason to not have to collapse
divisions. As per the CEDA rule governing sweeps, we will break ? the
teams in all divisions providing at least a 50% W/L record. Speaker awards will also be given in each division.

If you have any questions regarding the tournament, please do not hesitate
to call or email. We look forward to hosting you on our campus in October.
Sincerely,
Darren Elliott
Director of Debate
(913)288-7295 -- office
(316)214-9502 * cell
delliott at kckcc.edu

                                 KCKCC Schedule
Friday, October 13th
2:00pm Registration 1st Floor Humanities Building TV Lounge
3:00pm Round I, preset
5:30pm Round II, preset
9:00pm Regional Meeting/All Coaches Reception at Tournament Suite (Possible bowling outing at Village West or Jazz Club Outing)

Saturday, October 14th
7:15am Release pairings at KCKCC Humanities 1st floor TV Lounge
8:00am Round III (High-High)
11:00am Round IV (High-Low)
1:00-2:30pm Lunch Break (Served on campus)
3:00pm Round V (High-High)
6:00pm Round VI (High-Low)
ASAP Release list of Elim participants at Hotels
10:00pm All Coaches Reception at Tournament Suite (Possible bowling outing at Village West or Jazz Club Outing)

Sunday, October 15th
8:00am Awards Assembly Lower Level Jewell Building/Release of
Pairings
9:45am Elim Round 1
12:30 Elim Round 2
3:30 Elim Round 3
6:00 Elim Round 4

KCKCC Tournament Information
DIVISIONS:  We will be offering Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice
Divisions. Please follow the CEDA guidelines for entering your team in the
correct division. We will only collapse divisions if ABSOLUTELY
necessary. We will break to the appropriate number of elims based on CEDA
sweeps points regulations and number of entries in a division. We will
break ? the teams in each division provided a 50% W/L record. If a division does collapse we will still give awards based on how a team finishes in comparison to other teams who would have been eligible for the less experienced division.

ENTRIES:  Please have your entries to me as soon as possible. I would
like them no later than Oct. 10th.  The number of Saturday classes on our campus has increased dramatically since last year.  Classroom space is limited.  As such tournament entries will be secured on a first entered basis.  If a wait list is necessary, teams will be notified a week prior as to their final entry.  If you are flying to KC, enter early and your spots will be guaranteed.

TIME LIMITS:  Time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of prep time per
team.

JUDGING:  Each school is expected to provide qualified judges to
accompany their teams. You are responsible for three rounds of judging for
every one team entered. All judges are committed through the first elim
debate or one round past their teams' elimination, whichever occurs first.
Please do your best to hire judges if you need to as opposed to trying to
hire them through us. If you do need to hire a judge, the fee will be
$120.00 per uncovered team. Please give me plenty of notice if you need to
hire someone. If you are bringing extra judges, let me know how many
rounds they would like to be hired for.
                         Judges MUST render a decision by marking a loser
and a winner of each debate. Only one team can win and only one can
lose. Judges not following this will have their ballot changed with a coin
toss and have their best team's record altered by forfeiting a win at the
conclusion of prelims.
                         We plan on using some sort of judge preference
system depending on entries and availability.

FEES:  The registration fee will be $75.00 per team entered. We
will provide Breakfast on Saturday as well as lunch. We will provide
breakfast on Sunday morning as well. We will provide drinks and snacks
throughout the weekend. Cash is the preferred method of payment so we can
pay our vendors over the weekend. A check is the second best option--made
out to "Darren Elliott--KCKCC Debate". Unfortunately we cannot take Visa,
Mastercard, or Discover at this time. Bartering for chickens, and pigs is
always negotiable.

SMOKING:  Please do not smoke inside buildings on the KCKCC
campus. Smoking areas and containers for cigarette butts are located
outside throughout the campus.

TEAMS:  Teams should be comprised of two debaters from the same
school or two debaters, each from a different school. All teams, including
hybrids will be allowed to advance to elims and win speaker awards. KCKCC
debaters may participate in the tournament and advance to elim
rounds. Three-Person teams will be allowed although if multiple
three-person teams (2 from different schools) become a reality I will try
and get coaches together to make two-person hybrids out of their extra
debaters.

AWARDS:  	Teams reaching the elimination debates will receive
awards. An appropriate number of speaker awards will be given in each
division as well. Collapsed divisions if it has to happen will still be
awarded based on finish in comparison to other teams from the less
experienced division that was collapsed.
		We will once again present the Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award to a member of CEDA who has distinguished service and leadership in the organization.  Previous recipients were ML Sandoz, Jeff Jarman, and Eric Morris.
		We will once again present the Coaches Award, typically designated for an assistant coach, to show appreciation for those who work so hard to keep our programs going.  Previous recipients were Heather Walters, James Taylor, and Matt Moore.
		We will present the Newcomer Award to any program coming to our tournament for the first time, and the Long Distance Award to the program traveling the farthest to be with us.
		We will award the Top 3 Critics as voted on by the competitors.
		We will award 1 team in each Division as ?representing the best there is in competition? as voted on by the competitors.
BRACKETS:  Brackets will not be broken in elimination debates.

HOTEL INFO:  We have secured rooms at one Host Hotel this
year. The Microtel is within 3-5 minutes of campus. Please make
reservations ASAP. The hotel is located right off of I70 and 78th St exit
in Kansas City (Exit #414).
Ask for "kckcc debate rate" to get the tournament rate.  If you have problems, ask for Max and let him know what you are coming in town for.

They have blocked
25 Doubles (2 queen beds) @ $54.00nt
5 Suites (1 Qn bed 1 full size sofa sleeper) @ $60.00nt
5 Singles (1 Queen bed) @ $50.00nt
Their number is (913)334-3028. Their fax number is (913)334-5983.
They are located at 7721 Elizabeth St. Kansas City, KS 66112.

TRANSPORTATION:  If you are flying in to KCI and need a shuttle to
the hotel, please let me know no later than Oct. 10th.
                         If you are driving from the East: Take I70
through Kansas City, MO and into Kansas City, KS. You will see signs for
KCKCC just before the turn off for the campus. You want to take the Turner
Diagonal/Highway 40 Exit. Stay to the right onto Highway 40. Stay on
until State Avenue. Turn left onto State and at the first right, which is
College Blvd., turn right into the college. Follow the road around (please
don't hit our ducks) until you see the Humanities building on your
right. Park anywhere you can find a space in front of Humanities. Enter
the Humanities building and go down two flights of stairs to the
registration area/TV lounge.
                         If you are driving from the West: Take I70 to
Kansas City and take the Highway 40 exit. You will be driving under the
Turner Diagonal then rounding back on to it heading North. When you come
to State Avenue turn left. The entrance to KCKCC will be on your immediate
right at College Blvd. Once turning on to College Blvd. follow the road
around (please don't hit our ducks) until you see the Humanities building
on your right. Park anywhere you can find a space in front of
Humanities. Enter the Humanities building and go down two flights of
stairs to the registration area/TV lounge.
                         If you are coming from the North or South: Take
I35 until you reach I70. Take I70 and follow the first set of directions
listed above.

PARKING:  You will not be ticketed by parking in the lot in front of
Humanities Friday, Saturday, or Sunday unless you park in a Handicapped or
Reserved stall. All unmarked and Visitor stalls are fine to park in. You
also need to park head-in to avoid being ticketed.

SEXUAL HARRASSMENT:  The CEDA statement on Sexual Harassment will be upheld.

STATE LAW:  All tournament participants, coaches and judges are expected to
adhere to the laws of the State of Kansas. Alcohol and illegal substance
consumption on campus is strictly prohibited by these laws and will result
in removal from the tournament.

                 KCKCC Team Policy Entry Form-return to Darren Elliott
School ____________________________________
Coach ____________________________________
Address ____________________________________
Office # ____________________________________
Home # ____________________________________
Fax ____________________________________
Email ____________________________________
Open Division: (use more space if necessary)
1. ________________________________and_____________________________
2. ________________________________and_____________________________
3. ________________________________and_____________________________
4. ________________________________and_____________________________
Junior Varsity Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Novice Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Judges: Please indicate commitment for each judge and any team
restrictions. We ask that schools with multiple teams do your best to
secure multiple judges for elims. Only having one judge available on elim
day makes it difficult on tournament administration. (use more space if
necessary)
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Please send the entry to Darren Elliott. Email is preferable. Phone is
second best. Fax if you must! You can also enter on the Bruschke
Website. I will download from that site periodically but always confirm
via email if you do not hear from me.
delliott at kckcc.edu Office-(913)288-7295
FAX-(913)288-7638 Cell-(316)214-9502

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call or
email me. We hope to see you in October in Kansas City.
Darren Elliott
Director of Debate
KCKCC
7250 State Avenue