[eDebate] Brad Smith Debate Tournament at the University of Rochester, October 14-15, 2006

Kate Baxter-Kauf katebaxterkauf
Thu Aug 31 15:28:19 CDT 2006

Dear Friends:

    The University of Rochester Debate Union is pleased to invite you
to the 2006 Brad Smith Debate Tournament (BSDT). The tournament will
be held the weekend of October 14 and 15. The tournament is named in
honor of H. Brad Smith, a long time and invaluable University of
Rochester Debate Union supporter, who will again honor us with his
attendance at this year's tournament. The tournament will be CEDA and
SAMBA sanctioned. SAMBA is the Society Advocating More and Better
Argumentation. We will use the CEDA definition of "novice."

     Kate Baxter-Kauf has graciously agreed to run the tab room. The
time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep time. You should enter
your teams by Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 5:00 PM. Send your entries
to katekauf at yahoo.com
<http://us.f566.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=katekauf at yahoo.com&YY=73582&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>,
or enter on the Bruschke site (www.debateresults.com, available now).
Last minute changes can be made by calling Ken Johnson at 585-781-0040
or Kate at 651-470-9109. We will attempt to release pairings for
rounds 1 and 2 the night before, subject to last minute changes and
potentially judge placement.

    The rest of the invitation includes all the rest of the necessary
information for registration and lodging. Additionally, we have included a
tentative tournament schedule. If you have any further questions, please do
not hesitate to call Ken Johnson, Director of Forensics on his cell phone at
585-781-0040 or email him at
kenrjohnson at msn.com<http://us.f566.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=kenrjohnson at msn.com&YY=73582&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>
.

The University of Rochester Debate Union hopes to see you at our Tournament
this October in beautiful upstate New York. Let us know if we need to do
anything special to make that happen.

Sincerely,

Ken R. Johnson, Kate Baxter-Kauf, Gordie Miller, Mike Baxter-Kauf, and
the entire University of Rochester Debate Union

ENTRIES, FEES, AND INFORMATION

Entries:

The entry deadline is Wednesday, October 11, at 5:00 PM Eastern Time.

Send entries to katekauf at yahoo.com
<http://us.f566.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=katekauf at yahoo.com&YY=73582&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>
or enter online at http://www.debateresults.com.

Entry fees will be $70 per two person team. The fee will cover awards,
breakfast on both days, as well as lunch on Saturday. One judge covers
two teams.

There will be $120 fee for each uncovered team, but as hired judges
are limited we would rather have your judges than your money. Fee
waivers can be negotiated for financially needy teams. Also, if you
have extra judging please make us aware when you register, as we may
be willing to hire your extra critics.

There will be a $50 fee for each change reported the day of the tournament.

Please make all checks payable to Ken Johnson.

Hotel Information:

Please reserve your rooms today! There is a lot going on in Rochester
this weekend and rooms are in short supply.

The tournament hotel is the Rochester Super 8 Motel. It is conveniently

off the Thruway exit for Route 390, at 1000 Lehigh Station Road, Henrietta, NY

14467. Ted Thompson has agreed to charge $55 per room. Mention

"Rochester Debate" when making your reservation to get this rate.  The
hotel advertises "free wireless internet." The Super 8's number is
(585) 359-1630.  The hotel is about 15 minutes for the University of
Rochester's River Campus.  We will leave directions in the lobby on
Friday night.  HOTEL BLOCK RATE GOOD FOR 30 ROOMS, BLOCK RATE ENDS AT
THE END OF SEPTEMBER.  Please make your reservations early!

Another low-cost option near the tournament hotel is the Days Inn
Rochester Thruway at 4853 West Henrietta Road in Henrietta, New York
14467. The phone number is (585) 334-9300.  They did not have a block
rate to offer, but prices are reasonable.

If the Days Inn fills up, try the Red Roof inn on Jefferson Rd.  Their
rates are in the 70's and 80's, but they are near food and
entertainment on the Mc-Mile of Jefferson Rd. Their number is
585-359-1100.

ALL THE HOTELS ARE RIGHT OFF THE NYS THRUWAY (90) EXIT 46!

Food:

We will be providing breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We will also be
providing snacks throughout both days. On Saturday we will be providing a
nutritious lunch.

Sexual Harassment and Discrimination:

The University of Rochester will uphold the principle of debate in the
atmosphere of civility and mutual respect. All our guests should be
treated fairly without regard to race, creed, age, sex, national
origin, and sexual preference. Any incidences of harassment or
discrimination should be reported to the tournament staff immediately.

Schedule:

(This is a tentative schedule. We will try to operate ahead of
schedule if possible).

Friday, October 13, 2006

8 PM to 10 PM: Early registration ? Super 8 Lobby

Saturday, October 14, 2006:

Park in the Library Lot behind Rush Rhees Library, off Intercampus
Drive on the River Campus of the University of Rochester. The central
meeting place for the tournament is Hoyt Auditorium on the Library
Quad.  It is located directly on the opposite side of the Rush Rhees
Library from the Library Parking Lot. It is the same as in years past.

7:00 am to 7:30 am: Late Registration - Hoyt Auditorium (River Campus)

7:00 am to 8:00 am: Donuts, Bagels, Coffee, etc.

7:30 am:  Final Pairings Released

8:00-10:00 ? Round 1

10:00-12:00 ? Round 2

12:00pm-1:30 Lunch (provided), round 3 and 4 pairings released.

1:30-3:30 ? Round 3

3:30-5:30 ? Round 4

5:30-7:00 ? Dinner (provided), round 5 pairings released

7:00 ? Round 5

10:00 ? Round 6 Pairings Released on Edebate and at the Super 8

Sunday, October 15, 2006

7:30 am: Bagels, Donuts, Coffee, etc.

8:00 am to 10:00 am: Round 6

11:00 am to 1:00 pm: First Elimination Round

1:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Awards Ceremony

2:30 pm to 4:30 pm: Second Elmination Round

4:30 pm to ?????: Appropriate Elimination Rounds to follow