[eDebate] Northwestern Tournament Invitation

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Wed Dec 6 16:03:50 CST 2006

Greetings, all.  I hope this note finds you well
and that your end of the year tasks are not too
onerous.  A couple of coaches have had difficulty
accessing the invitation to the 49th Annual Owen
L. Coon Tournament at Northwestern from the
"invite" link at www.debateresults.com.  I'm not
sure why; when I sign-on, I have had no
difficulty viewing the invite.  There may have
been a temporary glitch in the system.  In any
event, I post it here as a secondary
source.  I'll also ask our web master to post it
to our web page at
www.debate.northwestern.edu.  We hope that you
can join us in January for spirited competition.  Best, all.  SD

November 1, 2006

Greetings Directors, Coaches, Judges, Students,
Alumni, and Friends.  This serves as invitation
to the 49th Annual Owen L. Coon Memorial Debates,
to be held on the Chicago Campus of Northwestern
University, February 10-12, 2007.  PLEASE READ
THIS INVITATION CAREFULLY; THERE ARE A NUMBER OF
LOGISTICAL CHANGES AS COMPARED TO PAST YEARS.

After considerable research, we have decided to
return to the popular alternative we employed in
2004, namely hosting the tournament on
Northwestern?s downtown campus.  The downtown
campus is in the heart of Chicago?s Magnificent
Mile, a beautiful shopping district that provides
easy access to restaurants, cafes, bookstores,
nightlife, and other amenities of interest.  The details:

Tournament Hotel:  The Holiday Inn City Centre
will again serve as home to the Owen L.
Coon.  The City Centre is the nicest property in
the Holiday Inn chain.  Rooms are available at a
rate of $109 per night, plus appropriate city
taxes.  The $109 dollar rate is good for up to
four persons per room.  The Holiday Inn City
Centre is a 26 floor facility that boasts more
than 500 guest sleeping rooms, with enough
?double-doubles? to accommodate the entire
tournament.  You will need to secure your
reservation with a major credit card.  Be sure to
mention to the reservation clerk that you are
associated with the NU Owen L. Coon Memorial
Debates.  Reservations must be made no later than
Friday, January 19 to secure the tournament
rate.  Cancellations must be made no later than
6:00 p.m. on the day of your scheduled arrival
time to avoid a ?no-show? penalty.  A substantial
number of preset debates will be held at the
Holiday Inn on Saturday, February 10, and
elimination debates will be held there on Monday,
February 12.  Accordingly, we strongly encourage
you to choose the Holiday Inn.

Amenities in the hotel include in room high speed
internet access, available via wireless
connection in the lobby and other common areas
and by hard wire in guest sleeping rooms.  Also
available to registered guests is free access to
the adjoining Lakeshore Athletic Club, a newly
renovated, full service, professional gym and
spa.  Parking is available in the hotel?s
self-park garage at the rate of $30 for each 24
hour period.  Parkers have in and out privileges
for each paid 24 hour period, and the cost of
parking can be billed to your room.  Additional
parking options are discussed below in the
?ground transportation and parking? section of this invitation.

             Reservations should be made directly
with the hotel, 312-787-6100.  You can also
register on line
at:
<file:///BLOCKED::http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/rates/chicc?groupBookingCode=ol6>http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/rates/chicc?groupBookingCode=ol6.
Otherwise individuals can go to our website at
<http://www.chicc.com>www.chicc.com and click on
book a reservation.  Enter their dates and then
enter the booking code OL6.  It?s probably best
to cut and paste this web address into your browser.
             The Holiday Inn is located at 300
East Ohio Street, just two blocks east of
Michigan Avenue, the main artery of the
aforementioned Magnificent Mile.  The hotel is
easy to reach from all directions.  If you are
driving in from either the north or south on
Interstate 90/94, take the east bound Ohio Street
exit right in the heart of the city.  Travel
eastbound on Ohio Street approximately six blocks
to the intersection of Ohio and Fairbanks; the
Holiday Inn is on the northeast corner of that
intersection.  You can?t miss it.  If you are
coming in on Lake Shore Drive, exit westbound on
Grand Avenue, travel two blocks to the
intersection of Grand and Fairbanks.  Head north
on Fairbanks for one block to the intersection of
Fairbanks and Ohio.  Again, the hotel is on the
northeast corner of that intersection.

The staff at Holiday Inn did a very nice job with
the tournament in 2004, and we look forward to
again working with them to make the tournament an enjoyable event for all.

Air Transport:  Downtown Chicago is easily
accessible by air transportation via both
Chicago?s O?Hare International Airport and Midway
International Airport.  Both ports are
approximately ten miles from downtown Chicago,
each about a $25 cab ride away.  More information
about ground transportation is provided
below.  Midway is home to ?discounter?
airlines.  It costs you no more to get to
downtown Chicago from Midway than it does from
O?Hare, so it?s worth a serious look to see if
you can find cheaper flights to and from Midway.

Tournament Debates:  Some preliminary debates
will occur in the Holiday Inn, particularly as
pertains to rounds one and two.  Some early
debates, and nearly all debates beginning in
round three, will occur in Weiboldt Hall on
Northwestern?s downtown campus.  Weiboldt Hall is
approximately three blocks from the Holiday Inn;
it takes approximately seven minutes to walk from
the main entrance of the Holiday Inn to Weiboldt
Hall.  Elimination rounds will be at the Holiday Inn.

Ground Transportation and Parking:  If you plan
to fly to Chicago for the Owen L. Coon, we
strongly encourage you to consider public
transportation rather than vehicle rental.  We
will be happy to provide evidence transportation
between the Holiday Inn and the tournament
site.  We recommend this principally because
parking downtown can be both difficult to locate
and expensive.  Once downtown, dozens (hundreds)
of restaurants are within walking
distance.  Virtually anything you could want is
no more than a five dollar cab ride away.  Should
you choose this option, be aware that the closest
24 hour copy facility will require that five
dollar ride, as will access to the nearest fully
outfitted office supply store.

We are optimistic about finding cheaper perhaps
free parking on Northwestern?s downtown
campus.  Negotiation on this matter is underway,
and additional information will be posted to
edebate as it becomes available.  In the week
preceding the tournament, a variety of tidbits
about the tournament will be posted, including
follow-up on this topic.  We strongly encourage
you to review that information.

Entry Procedures, Limits, and Deadlines:  This
year, entries are accepted at the now famous
?Bruschke? web page, available at
<http://www.debateresults.com/>www.debateresults.com.
Use of the web page offers a number of advantages
for the community.  Principally, it permits data
on a variety of issues of community wide interest
to be available to all.  The page is easy to use,
particularly if you have entered other
tournaments through that venue.  Initially, we
will accept an entry of up to four teams per
institution.  If space permits, we will take
additional teams per school on a rotating basis
(e.g. A school?s 5th team, then B school?s 5th
team, through the end of the 5th teams, before
wrapping back around to A school?s 6th team).

Entry Fees:  Entrants and their guests are
welcome at the fee of $60 for each person plus
$40 per team entered into the fray.  So, for
instance, should your school wish to enter one
team into the competition and offer one judge to
cover that team?s judging commitment, the a total
fee of $220 would be assessed:  $60 for each of
the three participants and $40 for the team.  The
good news is that this fee is the same as that
assessed when we last hosted the Owen L. Coon
College Tournament in February of
2005.  Hopefully, we can provide our best level
of hospitality without a substantial cost
increase.  This fee structure is based on the
same model employed at the National Debate
Tournament, as well as other major events.  Fees
cover a variety of meals throughout the
tournament, receptions for coaches and judges,
class room and meeting room rental to facilitate
both preliminary and elimination round debates,
as well as bus and cargo van transport to
accommodate evidence and person movement between
debating room facilities.  We are budgeting and
arranging now to make the event both enjoyable and affordable for all.

Should you need to drop a participant, please do
so no later than Noon Central Standard Time on
Wednesday, February 7, 2007.  Drops are official
ONLY if confirmed at the official tournament web
site, the same URL where you enter.  Should you
need to drop one or more participants after the
aforementioned deadline, a drop fee of $60 per
person will be assessed.  We do understand that
drops are typically beyond your control.  They
happen because of illness, poor traveling
conditions, and other causes.  However, we are
required by our caterers to provide a guarantee
number for meals no later than the scheduled drop
deadline.  Accordingly, after that point, we must
pay for your meals no matter if you are present
or not.  We will make a full financial disclosure
at the conclusion of the tournament.

Judge Requirements:  Schools are required to
provide four rounds of preliminary judging for
each team entered.  Each judge is required to be
available to hear the first two elimination
rounds.  Per community practice, each judge is
expected to be available one round beyond the
elimination of the team with whom they are
associated.  A limited number of hired judges are
available at $25 per round.  Early notice of your
need to hire a judge is appreciated.

Each judge will be REQUIRED to declare ONE AND
ONLY ONE WINNER and ONE AND ONLY ONE LOSER in
each debate to which they are assigned by the tab
room.  Compliance with this rule requires each
judge to complete an official judge ballot as
designated by the tab room.  Completion of the
ballot requires the judge to clearly designate
affirmative or negative to signify a winning
team.  Judges will also be required to confirm
their choice by indicating the school with which
the designated winner is affiliated.  The side
(affirmative or negative) and school affiliation
must match the assignments made by the tab
room.  Judges will also be required to assign
speaker points and speaker ranks to each
participant in the debate.  Speaker points are
accepted in increments of 0.5 from a minimum of 0
to a maximum of 30.  Speaker ranks are accepted
in whole numbers only from 1 to 4.

If you or one of your judges is unable or
unwilling to fulfill these requirements, please
submit an alternative judge prior to the start of
the tournament.  If, during the course of the
tournament, any judge representing your school
refuses to comply with these requirements, teams
affiliated with your school will be removed from
the competition by the tab room.

             Topic:  Students are required to
debate the topic selected for the 2006-07 season
by a vote of the Cross Examination Debate
Association membership.  The precise wording of
this year?s topic is Resolved: The United States
Supreme Court should overrule one or more of the
following decisions: Planned Parenthood v. Casey,
505 U.S. 833 (1992); Ex parte Quirin, 317 U.S. 1
(1942); U.S. v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000);
Milliken v. Bradley, 418 U.S. 717 (1974).
Confirmation of the official topic wording is
available at
<http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/beta.asp?u=ceda&p=/res>http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/beta.asp?u=ceda&p=/res.
Topicality is a voting issue at both the Owen L.
Coon Memorial Debates at Northwestern University
and at the National Debate Tournament.
Tournament Procedures:  We are pleased to
announce that Gary Larson of Wheaton College has
agreed to return as tab room manager.  Gary will
administer the tournament on the Smart Tournament
Administrator, or STA, the program he pioneered
and has used for years to tabulate major
tournaments.  This is Gary?s 10th year as the tab
room manager at the Owen L. Coon Tournament; we
are very pleased to have him back.

Brackets will be broken in both preliminary and
elimination debates to prevent teams from the
same school from meeting.  Side equalization will
be employed in both preliminary and elimination
rounds.  Details on the procedure for elimination
round side equalization will be provided at the
tournament.  Said procedures are the same as
those employed in previous Owen L. Coon
tournaments.  Hybrid teams are permitted.  Prior
to the tournament, maverick entries are NOT
accepted.  Once the tournament begins, maverick
debaters may or may not be permitted to
continue.  The tournament director will evaluate
maverick situations on a case-by-case basis.  The
tournament employs the now traditional 9-3-6
format with ten minutes of preparation time
allocated to each team.  The first four
preliminary rounds are preset.  Round five is
paired on a high-high speaker point basis; six
through eight are high-low.  We continue to
employ a mutual judge preference (MJP) placement
system.  Eight preliminary rounds are scheduled,
followed by an appropriate number of elimination
rounds, typically five.  Northwestern teams may
compete in the tournament.  If so, they are
eligible to receive speaker awards and to compete
in elimination rounds.  We will enter via the web
page and declare our participation
publicly.  Northwestern teams will be required to
complete a judge preference sheet; judge
assignments for Northwestern teams will be
assigned by the computer and changed only by the
option of tab room manager Gary Larson.  We
subscribe to CEDA?s policy against Sexual
Harassment and Discrimination, and the Statement
of Ethical Principles, found in Bylawys IV and V
of the CEDA Constitution.  The tournament is CEDA Sanctioned.

Tentative Tournament Schedule
SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Friday, February 9

7:00 p.m.         Registration and Coaches Reception
Location TBA

Saturday, February 10

7:00 a.m.         Shuttles Load ? Holiday Inn City Center

8:00 a.m.         Round 1

10:30 a.m.       Round 2

1:00 p.m.         Lunch

2:30 p.m.         Round 3

5:00 p.m.         Round 4

Sunday, February 11

7:00 a.m.         Pairings Released ? Holiday Inn City Center

8:00 a.m.         Round 5

11:00 a.m.       Round 6

1:30 p.m.         Lunch

2:15 p.m.         Pairings for Round 7

3:00 p.m.         Round 7

5:45 p.m.         Pairings for Round 8

6:30 p.m.         Round 8

9:00 p.m.         Dinner and Awards Assembly

Monday, February 12

7:00 a.m.         Pairings for First Elimination
Round ? Ground Level, Holiday Inn

8:00 a.m.         First Elimination Round

11:30 a.m.       Second Elimination Round

3:00 p.m.         Third Elimination Round

6:00 p.m.         Fourth Elimination Round

9:00 p.m.         Fifth Elimination Round

We do hope that you can join us in
February.  Chicago is truly a world class city,
and we will finally have the opportunity to fully
enjoy its many offerings.  After this, someone
might just start a movement to have a six round
tournament so we can actually enjoy the possibilities!!!  Best.

Scott Deatherage
Director of Debate
Northwestern University
nudebate at northwestern.edu