[eDebate] Donn W. Parson Heart of America 2007 Invite

Phillip Samuels iriamenzo
Fri Dec 8 15:10:32 CST 2006

Dear Debate Colleague:

The Kansas Jayhawks would like to cordially invite your teams to participate
in the Donn W. Parson Heart of America Tournament, to be held at the
University of Kansas on February 17th, 18th, and 19th 2007. We intend to
offer Open, JV and Novice divisions. We will continue our fine tradition of
warm hospitality and
?friendly? mocking. We have received verbal confirmation from many teams on
their intention to attend this year?s tournament, which means that there
will be a good mixture of old and new. For this, we are very excited!

*Open Heart*

This year the open division will be truly an open division. We encourage
people who have used up their official eligibility to enter the tournament
as well as teams with eligibility. Hybrid teams are welcomed (and by hybrid
we mean pairing debaters from different schools as well as debaters from
different generations). We would like to have a tournament where new school
meets old school. A number of people over the last year have expressed
interest in debating at such a tournament. This year's legal topic provides
the perfect opportunity for the many former debaters practicing law to
return to debate for a tournament.

Our plan is to cut it back to a 6 round tournament to allow plenty of time
for socializing in the evening and to ensure that some of our participants
without the stamina they once had can survive the tournament.

Any team that enters must supply a judge.

*Heart Book*
As per tradition, we will again be assembling the Heart Book. The Heart Book
contains information about and photographs of tournament participants.
COACHES: Please fill out the following short form for all of the debaters
you
are bringing to the tournament. Of course, feel free to take liberties with
your answers and editorialize where necessary. This is your time to show
your
debaters how ?grateful? you are for them. Feel free to tell embarrassing
stories and provide humiliating information. (Of course, we reserve the
right
to remove/censor any information that we deem to be inappropriate) we ask
that special attention be paid to their entries.

Name:
Hometown:
Year:
Major/Academic Interests:
Other:

DEBATERS: Please fill out the following short form about your coaches.

Name:
Best Coaching Advise s/he has given you:
Other:

ALL: Please also feel free to send any photographs that the community would
benefit from seeing. All Heart Book entries should be emailed to sarah.topp@
at gmail dot com by 7PM, Thursday, February 9, 2006. We cannot guarantee
that
later entries will make it into the final draft of the Heart Book.

Now, onto the boring stuff:
Fees:
The charge for each team is $100.00. This fee covers the cost of elimination
round rooms, coffee, donuts, bagels, the tournament booklet, 2 delicious
lunches, and other miscellaneous expenses. Schools should provide judges for
all teams entered in the tournament. Judges should have an undergraduate
degree or should have finished their college debate eligibility. One judge
covers two teams; uncovered teams will be assessed at the rate of $80.00 per
team. We would prefer that you provide judges rather than pay the fee, as
our
judging pool may be limited.

Lodging:
We urge you to make hotel reservations at once. We are again using the the
Holiday Inn--Holidome as the tournament hotel. It has highspeed internet
access, a decently nice restaurant, mini-golf, foosball and ping pong; it
also
allows pets. You should identify yourself as being a KU Heart of America
Debate participant when making reservations. The rate is $82 plus tax. If
you have any problems getting this rate, either contact me or ask to speak
to Ivan (he is our corporate contact). The Holidome?s address and telephone
number are:
200 McDonald Drive
Lawrence, KS 66044
1-785-749-8921 or 1-785-841-7077

Of course, Lawrence offers many other lovely lodging options:
Baymont Inn and Suites 704 Iowa (785) 838-4242
Days Inn Motel 2309 Iowa (785) 843-9100
Eldridge Hotel 701 Massachusetts (785) 749-5011
Hallmark Inn 730 Iowa (785) 841-6500
Hampton Inn 2300 W. 6th St. (785) 841-4994
Holiday Inn Express 3411 Iowa (785) 749-7555
**Springhill Suites by Mariott 6th & New Hampshire (785) 841-2700 (This one
is nice and by many bars on Mass St.)
Super 8 515 McDonald (785) 842-5721
Travelodge Motel 801 Iowa (785)842-5100
Westminster Inn 2525 W. 6th (785) 841-8410

Transportation:
We will not be providing airport transportation. For transportation from the
Kansas City airport to Lawrence you can use Superior Shuttle (785)-838-4500.
You might also check out Affordable Limousine Service (785) 841-0463.

Tournament Expectations:
1. Debaters should expect to use the 20006-07 NDT/CEDA resolution.
2. We will offer 6 rounds of debate in Open and JV and 6 rounds in Novice
following the 9-3-6 format with 10 minutes of preparation time. We will hold
an appropriate number of elimination rounds based on the size of each of the
divisions. The first novice elim round will happen during round.
3. Pairings for Rounds 1 and 2 will be distributed at registration in the
Ramada. If we need to make any changes to the schedule, they will be posted
by
11:00 P.M. immediately following the conclusion of registration.
4. Rounds 3 through 6 will be powered. Round 5 will be high-high; all others
will be high-low.
5. All debates, including elimination debates, will honor mutual preference
judge assignment. Let?s hope I do not mess up the number of judges for each
category again this year.
6. In each debate one team and only one team must be assigned a win and the
other team must be assigned a loss. Partial wins and losses or any
combination
thereof will not be accepted by the tab room.
7. We will not break brackets for elimination rounds.
8. All elimination rounds will be flip for sides even for teams that met in
preliminary rounds.

Entry Procedures:
If you have any questions, please call (785) 864-9893 and leave a message on
the voice mail if you cannot reach anyone. We will be using the Bruschke
Online Entry System again this year. You should direct any questions first
Phil Samuels phill.samuels at gmail.com, or Sarah Topp Sarah.topp at gmail.com
and second to Scott Harris at sharris ku.edu.

>From the Jayhawks,

Phil Samuels
Tournament Director
1440 Jayhawk Blvd. Room 102
Bailey Hall
Communication Studies Department
The University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Friday, February 17, 2007
7:00-10:00 p.m. -- Registration and Reception. Holiday Inn--Holidome.
NOTE: WE HOPE TO HAVE PAIRINGS FOR ROUNDS 1 & 2 AT REGISTRATION. (This is,
of course, dependent upon prefs getting entered early).

Saturday, February 18, 2007
8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Late Registration -- Fourth Floor Wescoe Hall - pairings
available for those schools who did not register on Friday. Bagels, donuts,
coffee, etc., will be available in Wescoe.
8:30 a.m. Round I
11:00 a.m. Round II
Lunch?Pizza Shuttle
3:00 p.m. Round III

Sunday, February 12, 2006
7:30 a.m. Pairings distributed -- Ramada Inn and Fourth Floor of Wescoe
8:30 a.m. Round IV
11:00 a.m. Round V
Lunch ?Yello Sub
2:30 p.m. Round VI for JV and Open/Elim 1 for Novice
6:00 p.m. First Elimination Debate/Elim 2 for Novice (dependent on judging
availability)

Monday, February 13, 2006
7:15AM?Pairings
8:30AM?Elims Begin (this time is firm
we NEED to be out of many rooms by 11AM)
All events at the Holidome
Awards to follow first elim.