[eDebate] ISU debate position!

Zompetti at aol.com Zompetti
Sun Dec 10 17:17:28 CST 2006

If you will be  finishing your Master's degree this year or if you're
interested in making a  change in your current position, you should consider coming
to  ISU!
We're finally able to  do conduct a search for a Director of Debate at ISU.
I have posted this  position announcement before, but I?m posting it again,
for the last time, now  that the season has died down a bit.
If you?re interested,  please send as soon as possible the following:
1.  detailed  letter of application
2.   vita
3.  copies of  transcripts
4.  3 letters of  recommendation
Send them  to:
Cheryl  Budde
4480  Communication
Illinois State University
Normal, IL  61790-4480
FAQs:
1.  What is  Normal, Illinois, like?
ISU is located in Normal, Illinois (adjacent  to Bloomington) and is 45
minutes East of Peoria, 45 minutes West of Champagne,  2 hours South of Chicago, 2
hours East of St. Louis, and 2 1/2 hours West of  Indianapolis.  While
Bloomington/Normal is a small Midwestern city, we have all of the comforts of a
typical college town with a low violent crime rate and extremely affordable cost
of living.
What will the position  require?
The Director of Debate position will be  responsible for the everyday
coaching and management of our growing policy  debate program.  Currently we have
three teams.  The DoD will be  expected to recruit from high schools, conduct
practice debates, oversee  research assignments, manage the debate paperwork,
organize debate squad and  team meetings, recruit and oversee a graduate
assistant, plan and prepare a  tournament schedule, attend and coach at tournaments,
and other duties typically  associated with coaching debate at this  level.
Will I get to  teach?
Yes.  The position is a  non-tenure-track (NTT) position that involves
teaching 2 courses a semester in  addition to coaching responsibilities.  The types
of courses taught will  mainly be introductory classes.
Will this be my  program?
Yes and No.  The DoD will be  responsible for the items listed above.
Discretionary power will reside  with the DoD on coaching and administrative issues
provided they are consistent  with the overall Forensics program at ISU.  ISU
has a dual IE/debate  Forensics program, and the DoD reports directly to me as
the Director of  Forensics.  In other words, the DoD will be working closely
with me as the  program develops and grows.
What is the  salary?
Normal is a very, very, very inexpensive place to live.  The  salary for this
position is competitive with other similar positions relative to
cost-of-living.  It is also negotiable.  Talk to me personally about  this.
What are the benefits  like?
For more information on ISU employee benefits, you  can go to the ISU Human
Resources page at _http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/_ (http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/) .
Benefits are highly competitive with other State  universities.  The DoD will
receive full medical and health insurance, as  well as other standard benefits.
Any other questions????  Please ask  me!  Feel free to email me at this
address.
Joe  Zompetti
DOF, Illinois State University
***********************
Official  Call:
Illinois  State University
Normal,  Illinois

VACANCY  ANNOUNCEMENT
The  School of Communication at Illinois State University is looking for full
and  part-time instructors for 2007-2008.
COMMUNICATION               Teach courses such as Introduction to
Communication,
STUDIES:                              Interpersonal Communication, Small
Group Communication,                                                Organizational
and Professional Speaking, Interviewing or other
courses as needed.  May  include academic advisement and
                        responsibilities in communication
 laboratories.  Strong  commitment to                      general education
is essential.
JOURNALISM                       Teach reporting and/or editing classes on
IBM and MAC  computers.
PUBLIC  RELATIONS:          Position may include academic advisement and
responsibilities in  communication computer laboratories.
PHOTOGRAPHY/                 Teach photography and media courses.  May
include academic
MEDIA:                                   advisement and responsibilities in
communication  laboratories.
INDIVIDUAL  EVENTS:         Direct or assist in the management and coaching
of a nationally ranked  speech team.  Also teach courses in  area of expertise
such as Introduction to Communication, Small Group  Communication,
Argumentation, Interpersonal Communication, and coach in a  broad-based Individual Events
program.
DEBATE:                               Direct or assist in the management and
coaching of a nationally  competitive debate team.  Also teach  courses in
area of expertise such as Introduction to Communication, Small Group
Communication, Argumentation, Interpersonal Communication, and coach in a  broad-based
Debate program.
This announcement  is designed to build a pool of applicants to be drawn
from, for temporary full  or part-time positions, during the 2007-08 academic
year.  Applications will be accepted throughout  the year, and appointments will
be made as needed.  Master's degree preferred, Bachelor?s  degree required,
teaching and/or related professional experience desirable.  Salary is dependent
upon qualifications. Initial appointment made as positions  and funding become
known.  Initial  review of applications is continuous and will continue until
all open positions  are filled.  To ensure full  consideration, send detailed
letter of application, vita, copies of transcripts  and three letters of
recommendation to Cheryl Budde, 4480 Communication,  Illinois State University,
Normal, Illinois  61790-4480.
Illinois  State University  is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
university encouraging  diversity.