[eDebate] Western Novice & JV Nationals @ Sac State

Tudor, Kristen H sac36967
Tue Dec 12 16:11:16 CST 2006

December 12, 2006

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of the Sacramento State University debate team and the Department of Communication Studies, I'm excited to invite you to participate in the 2nd Annual Western Novice & JV National Policy Debate Championship Tournament and Hornet Classic CEDA/NDT Open Division Warm-up to be held at Sac State March 9-11, 2007.  We will have six preliminary rounds of National Championship team policy debate in both novice & junior-varsity divisions, as well as a six round open division warm-up tournament for CEDA/NDT teams.  All divisions will have appropriate elimination rounds.

We've secured a rate of $89.00 a night for rooms with two queen beds at the Hilton Sacramento Arden West.  This is a full service hotel with top notch amenities which is located near plenty of restaurants and is close to campus.  The block of rooms will be held until February 15, 2007.  The hotel is located at 2200 Harvard Street, Sacramento 95815.  You can book your rooms online at www.sacramentoardenwest.hilton.com or by calling 916.922.4700.  Access the group rate with the code SSU.  If you have problems, call Nancy Vasquez in sales at x1505 for help.

I hope you'll consider adding this tournament to your spring travel schedule - we look forward to hosting you here in beautiful Sacramento.  If you have questions feel free to email me at khamilton at csus.edu.

Kristen Hamilton Tudor

Director of Debate
Sacramento State University

(916) 278-5489 (office)

(916) 278-7216 (fax)

Tournament Information

Transportation:  The Sacramento Airport is about a 20 minute drive from campus and the tournament hotel.  There are plenty of rental car companies in the airport.   To get to campus or the hotel from the airport, take I-5 south, then merge onto highway 50 east towards South Lake Tahoe.  From there, follow directions below to either the hotel or campus.

The Hotel:  The Hilton Sacramento Arden West is located at 2200 Harvard Street in Sacramento, 95815.  The hotel phone number is 916.922.4700.  >From business 80 heading east, take the Arden Way exit.  Keep left at the fork in the ramp, going right onto Arden Way.  Go right on Harvard Street.

Campus:  Sac State's address is 6000 J Street, 95819.

Entry Info:  enter at debateresults.com

Tournament Procedures:  We will use the 2006-2007 CEDA/NDT topic with 9-3-6 speaking times.  We will adhere to CEDA guidelines for novice and JV eligibility.  Divisions will not be collapsed because this is a championship tournament in novice and JV.  There will be no breaking of brackets in elimination rounds.

Fees:  The fee for each team is $85.00.  Each school is expected to provide one judge for every two teams entered.  The uncovered team fee will be $150.00.  Please bring extra judges - I'm sure we'll need them and will pay $25 per round.  Fees include breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, and lunch on Saturday.

Schedule

Friday, March 9th

2:00-3:00:  Registration on campus - Mendocino Hall, 5th floor lobby

3:30:  Pairings for rounds 1, 2 released - Mendocino Hall

4:00:  Round 1

6:30:  Round 2

Saturday, March 10th

8:00am: Pairings released at the Marriott and at Mendocino Hall on campus.  Breakfast served on campus.

9:00:  Round 3

11:30:  Round 4

1:30:  Lunch on campus

3:00:  Round 5

6:00:  Round 6

9:30:  Elimination teams and judges posted at Marriott

Sunday, March 11th

8:00:  Pairings for elimination rounds released on campus and at Marriott.  Breakfast on campus.

9:00:  Elimination round 1

11:00:  Awards Ceremony

12:00:  Subsequent elimination rounds as needed.