[eDebate] Western States Tournament Invite

Derek T Buescher dbuescher
Tue Dec 12 17:19:45 CST 2006

Hello, All

Pasted below is the invite for the annual Western States Communication Association (WFA) tournament. This year's tournament will be in downtown Seattle in the beautiful Crowne Plaza Hotel only two blocks from the conference hotel. We will be offering three forms of debate--NPDA Parli, Worlds Parli, and Policy. Policy looks to have a healthy mid-level offering with teams likely from Gonzaga, Whitman, Puget Sound, Pepperdine, Weber, U. Washington, Portland State and others I am probably forgetting at the moment.

Please join us! I will list the tournament on Jon's site shortly.

Derek Buescher

Western States Communication Association Forensic Tournament

Seattle, Washington

February 16-18, 2007

            In conjunction with Whitman College, the Western Forensics Association is pleased to invite you to the Western States Communication Association Annual Forensic Tournament to be held in Seattle, Washington February, 16-18, 2007. Many forensic directors attend the WSCA conference following the tournament and some even provide an opportunity for some of their students to do the same. The WSCA tournament is designed to provide excellent competition for your students as well as academic enrichment for yourself, other members of your forensic staff, as well as your students.  We hope you will be able to take advantage of this excellent opportunity.

            This year's WSCA forensic tournament will be at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Seattle, Washington. The hotel location, two blocks from the conference hotel, enables faculty and student integration between the tournament and the conference. We will continue to work with the WSCA Executive Council to enable you and your students opportunities to participate in both the tournament and the conference.

            NB: We will likely offer World's Style debate at the tournament. The exact details on judges, fees, etc. will be forthcoming.

Tournament Hotel

            The tournament hotel is the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Seattle. We have negotiated a rate of $129.00 per room (plus tax). This rate applies for one or four persons per room with a surcharge of $20.00 for each additional person and $25.00 rollaway charge.  Although the rate is higher than we have paid in the past, it is an exceptional rate for a downtown location. In addition, the Crowne Plaza was the only hotel in the greater Seattle area that could accommodate the tournament needs for space. Group rates are available three days prior to and three days post the actual meeting dates. You may wish to take advantage of the Crowne Plaza rates (less than the conference hotel) if you plan to stay in Seattle for the WSCA conference. Because competition takes place in the hotel, all schools are required to stay at the Crowne Plaza provide hotel and provide rooms for competition use. You must supply one room for every grouping of 1-2 debate teams and 1-6 individual event entries. Rooms to be used for competition must be available from 8:00 am on Friday, February 16 through the end of the tournament.  Accordingly, the room must be reserved starting no later than Thursday, February 15, 2007.

            Each school is responsible to make their own reservations at the hotel.  The reservation deadline is January 26, 2007. Our block of room will be released on after this date and the rates will become much more expensive. To make reservations call the Hotel reservations department at 800-521-2762. To receive the contract rates, the attendees should identify the group as "Western States Forensics Speech and Debate Tournament."

Tournament Staff

            The WSCA Speech Activities Coordinator is Derek Buescher.  Jim Hanson will run parliamentary debate tab. Matt Taylor will run individual event tab. Melissa Franke and Robert Trapp will assist tabulation. In the event "World's Style" debate is offered a tab manager will be announced.

Entries

The entry deadline is 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 12, 2007.  Entries should be emailed to dbuescher at ups.edu or faxed to 253-879-6111. Any changes after Wednesday, February 15 should be e-mailed to the above address or faxed to Derek Buescher at the Crowne Plaza Hotel-206-223-3750.

Eligibility and Divisions

Any regularly enrolled undergraduate college student may represent the school at which they are pursuing a degree. In individual events, students may participate in open division, but only those students with less than four semesters of collegiate competition in individual events may participate in junior division. Similarly, all debaters may compete in open division. Only those students with less than four full semesters of college debate experience may participate in junior division.

Individual Events:

The WSCA tournament follows the rules of the AFA NIET. Students may enter a maximum of three individual events per pattern, and only two if one of the events is extemp. Students with multiple entries in a pattern are responsible for getting to their competition rooms on time. Please keep in mind this is a "vertical tournament" dependent upon elevators to access rooms. The tabulation staff will make every effort to localize competition rooms, but this may be out of our control. It is the student's responsibility to make it within the allotted time to their events.

Pattern A: Extemp, Informative, CA, DI, POI, Poetry

Pattern B: Impromptu, Persuasive, ADS, Prose, Duo

Debate

As an experiment, this year we will offer two styles of debate.  We will offer the standard NPDA debate along with 4-team debate (also called World Universities Debate or British Parliamentary Debate).  Only four total teams, designated at registration, may earn sweepstakes points. NPDA Debate will follow the rules of the National Parliamentary Debate Association.  World's Style debate is contingent upon sufficient entries.

Judges

Finding qualified judges is frequently a problem at the WSCA tournament.  We will gladly hire you if you can judge beyond your commitment. If you know of qualified individuals who would like to be hired, please have them contact the Speech Activities Coordinator.

Each institution must provide at least one qualified judge. Judges must possess a BA or equivalent degree, or obtain Speech Activities Coordinator's prior approval. One judge covers two debate teams and six IE slots. Each school must provide a judge to cover the first two debate teams and the first four IE slots. A judge may be hired through the tournament to cover an institution's additional entries. In the event the tournament is unable to provide judging to cover a school's entries, the school may be required to withdraw students from competition. If you have a particular problem meeting your institution's judging requirements contact the Speech Activities Coordinator.

Fees

We are trying to keep fees low, but hired judges are very expensive. In addition, we were unable to negotiate free access to the tab room and meeting rooms in the hotel.  For this reason, we have been forced to add a facilities fee to cover this expense.

School fee                                $50.00 per school

Facility fee                                $50.00 per school

Debate entry fee                       $50.00 per team

Individual event entry fee           $ 7.00 per contestant per event

Hired debate judges                  $75.00 per uncovered debate team (one judge covers two teams)

Hired events judges                  $15.00 per uncovered IE slot (one judge covers 6 slots)

Fees will be assessed as of 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Please make checks payable to University of Puget Sound.

Schedule

Friday, February 16, 2007

8:30                 Pattern A, Round 1

10:00               Pattern A, Round 2

11:30               Pattern A, Round 3

1:00                 Lunch

2:00                 Parli, Policy, and Worlds Round 1

3:30                 Pattern B, Round 1

5:00                 Parli, Policy and Worlds Round 2

6:30                 Pattern B, Round 2

Saturday, February 17, 2008

8:30                 Parli, Policy, and Worlds Round 3

10:00               Pattern B, Round 3

11:30              Parli and Policy Round 4 (policy will eat lunch before this)

1:00                 Lunch

2:00                 IE Finals

2:30                 Policy Round 5

3:30                 Parli Round 5 and Worlds Round 4

5:30                 Parli and Policy Round 6 and Worlds Round 5

Sunday, February 18, 2006

8:30                 First Debate Elim

10:00               Parli and Worlds 2nd Elim

11:30               Awards (IE Awards may occur on Saturday evening prior to Round 6)

12:15               Policy 2nd Elim, Parli and Worlds 3rd Elim

2:00                 Parli and Worlds 4th Elim (continue Elim debates as necessary)

3:00                 Policy 3rd Elim

Awards

Awards will be presented to finalists in all events. Sweepstakes awards will be presented for debate, individual events, and overall excellence. Sweepstakes awards will be based on the following point system:

1st place IE                                                                  9 points

2nd place IE                                                                 7 points

3rd place IE                                                                 4 points

Finalists IE                                                                    2 points

Worlds, Policy, or Parli debate First Place                    20 points

Worlds, Policy, or Parli debate Second Place                16 points

Worlds, Policy, or Parli debate semi-finalist                   10 points

Worlds, Policy, or Parli debate quarter-finalist   6 points

Worlds, Policy, or Parli debate octa-finalist                   2 points