[eDebate] Performance in the blogosphere

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Thu Dec 14 08:43:35 CST 2006

Thanks to Ross for posting the blog coverage of the LA Times story.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_12/010378.php

BUT, the long and detailed comments after it are well worth a read. Some
ridiculous, some fairly profound.

I also posted a blog entry about it at
http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/doctortuna/Blog/AD103F56-624F-4F3E-988B-AA02582DF35B.html
No comments, however.

No mater what it is people don't like debate. I have heard:
1. This performance stuff is nonsense.
2. The fast-talking appeal to authority debate is ridiculous.
3. Audience centered debate as in the UK is pretentious and empty.

I've coached teams that read poetry and play the guitar, teams that run
politics and agent counterplans and now I have spent quit a bit of time
over the last few years coaching British parliamentary format debating.
I find them all interesting and intellectually exciting.

The real thing is, each type of debate is involved in making arguments
that have to be answered. We have to try and decide how to do that
because that is our job. Other commentators are just involved in some
drive-by criticism without really engaging any of this.

So, I don't take it too seriously.

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna