[eDebate] Congrats to Annie!!!

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Fri Dec 15 12:03:07 CST 2006

Many of you remember Annie Kastanek, a 2001 graduate of Northwestern
University.  Annie debated for four years and as a senior earned a
First Round At-Large invitation to the National Debate
Tournament.  After graduation she spent a year with the NYUDL before
returning to Northwestern for law school.

Yesterday she accepted an appointment by Justice Anthony Kennedy to
serve as one of his clerks for the Supreme Court term that begins in
October of 2007.  CONGRATS ANNIE!!!

Annie is one of the hardest working students that I've had the honor
of working with in my 21 year tenure at Northwestern.  She came to us
with relatively limited debate experience from small town
Minnesota.  She almost didn't join, fearful that a kid w/ no national
experience couldn't make it in college debate.  As a first year
student, she spent a good deal of time in the 3-5 bracket.  As a
senior, she completed her career after a tough 3-2 loss in the octos
of NDT, a debate that pushed that year's Copeland Award winner to the
brink.  In between was a lot of hard work, some great research and
strategy, and a lot of practice.

On a personal note, let me say that Annie Kastanek is the type of
student and person who gives coaches a reason to do what they do
year-in and year-out.  I have spoken to her strong work ethic, which
all coaches appreciate.  But more important, she is a leader, a
strong and positive voice, one that is forward looking and solution
oriented.  Annie was at Northwestern in what was without a doubt the
toughest year of my coaching career.  Internal strife nearly tore our
team apart that year.  I won't share the gory details, but I will say
that it is one of the few times I seriously considered moving
on.  Annie was instrumental -- essential -- in getting us to put our
knives away and re-learning the art of working and playing well
together.  She and Eli barely qualified for the NDT that season; they
had to submit a third team bid with only two tournaments as a team
under their belt.  They aren't the most talented team I have ever
coached at the NDT, but they may well be the most important.

Proud today in Evanston.  Best, all.  SD  PS:  You are welcome to
drop her a note of congrats at anniekastanek at gmail.com.