[eDebate] ...or not salvation

Phillip Samuels iriamenzo
Mon Dec 4 01:22:58 CST 2006

I will go on record saying that Florida will get smoked.  Let's look at some
of Florida's wins--and I use that term loosely--they barely beat South
Carolina by a point (17-16), they beat Vandy by 6 points, (who Michigan beat
by 20) and they escaped with a win against a powerful 6-6 Florida State
team.  This team is in way over their heads which Urban Meyer knows.  It is
true that Florida won a mediocre SEC this year.  Auburn,Tennessee, Georgia,
and LSU were not nearly as good as they have been in the past.  But
pollsters have fooled themselves into believing that the SEC is the best
conference in college football regardless of how good the teams actually
are.  This year conference play was a joke, all across the nation, the two
best teams are clearly OSU and Michigan and they should be playing each
other.  Florida lost to Auburn which is a deeply flawed team.  Aurburn got
beat like dogs by a very average Georgia team.  However, Michigan only lost
to OSU on the road by 3 points. Michigan's quality of loss far exceeds any
other teams in the country.  In the end that should be the deciding factor,
but it wasn't television ratings were.  The brain trust that does the polls
did some polling of their own and found that people wanted to watch someone
OTHER than Michigan play and that is what we got.  Even though it is going
to be blowout it won't matter cause people will watch until halftime.  And
to top it off they place Michigan in the Rose Bowl against USC, functionally
making Michigan play USC at home.  Priceless! Do not email about the
logistics of the Bowl system I understand them but it reminds me of the days
when Big 8 teams had to go to Orange Bowl and play Miami for the national
championship know how many of those games Miami lost? Zero.  Ok I have
homework but I will say I have never been a proponent of a playoff but after
this jobbing I am leaning heavily in that direction.  Phil