[eDebate] anti-war hunger strike underway

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Tue Jul 4 20:23:48 CDT 2006

sean penn, susan sarandon and others know the letter from the birmingham
jail and the need for disobedience gadflies:

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-iraq-usa-protest.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=4a51f7e9Q2F.sSE.cQ200J8Q20Q20Q5Cw.8SBQ5CS8J.Q5DSsJ.Q5DSsJrQ3C8Q271rBJQ27rb8Q20Q5CSJQ5CQ25Q51Q5CjQ3F

Anti-War Protesters Begin July 4 Fast
????Reuters

????Monday 03 July 2006

????Washington - About 150 protesters sat in front of the White House on
Monday to savor their last meal before starting a hunger strike that some
said will continue until American troops return from Iraq.

????The demonstration marking the Independence Day holiday was organized by
CodePink, a women's anti-war group that called on volunteers to abstain from
eating for 24 hours from midnight on Monday.

????Some protesters said their fast would continue beyond July 4th.

????Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, said she
would drink only water throughout the summer, which she said she would spend
outside President George W. Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas.

????"This war is a crime," Sheehan told a crowd of clapping, cheering
protesters. "We represent millions of Americans who withdraw their support
from this government."

????The demonstrators crouched in the muggy evening next to a piece of pink
plastic, spread down the road as a table and table-cloth in one. It was
covered with wilted pink sunflowers and plates of vegetarian curry, white
rice, and beans.

????The demonstration aimed at highlighting the costs of the war, in which
more than 2,500 U.S. soldiers and thousands of Iraqis have died, said
CodePink spokeswoman Meredith Dearborn.

????"We have to put our own lives on the line, and I'm willing to do that,"
said activist Diane Wilson, who pledged to fast until the United States
withdraws from Iraq.

????Dearborn said 2,700 other activists nationwide, including actors Susan
Sarandon and Sean Penn, would work as a relay team passing the fast daily
from one to another.

??-------