[eDebate] The 06-07 topic (and 07-08 topic options)

Gordon Stables stables
Fri Jul 21 11:45:52 CDT 2006

The full topic wording, along with an extensive archive of papers
collected in the writing of the process, is available at
http://www.cedatopic.com/  and pasted below.  It is not an exaggeration
to say that several hundred pages of writing were done by community and
committee members to help develop this topic. Please take advantage of
these resources. We also owe Ryan Galloway thanks today. He spent two
years drafting versions of this topic and maintained the patience to see
it to the final process.

As much as it may seem too early, I would also encourage everyone to
review the early options for a slate of 07-08 topics. The site lists the
individuals who have already volunteered to work on areas, along with
guidelines to help anyone who would like to write a controversial area
paper. We are appreciative of all of these efforts, including that by
Scott Elliott who has already completed a draft version of a paper on
genetic engineering. We will also have open blog threads so anyone
interested in these areas can leave feedback.

Thanks and good luck with the new topic.

Gordon Stables
CEDA Topic Selection Committee Chair

The United States Supreme Court should overrule one or more of the
following decisions

* Planned Parenthood v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833 (1992)
* Ex parte Quirin, 317 U.S. 1 (1942)
* U.S. v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000)
* Milliken v. Bradley, 418 U.S. 717 (1974)

--

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>