[eDebate] Henry Clay Invitation

JW Patterson jwpatt00
Sun Jul 23 14:17:16 CDT 2006

INVITATION

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY

37th ANNUAL DEBATE TOURNAMENT

 October 7, 8, & 9 2006
(Saturday, Sunday, & Monday)

TOURNAMENT HOTEL: RAMADA INN AND CONFERENCE CENTER: FINALLY ALL BEDROOMS,
MEETING ROOMS, AND LOUNGES ARE NOW EQUIPPED WITH HIGH-SPEED INTERNET!

THE RAMADA HAS ALSO AGREED TO PULL FURNITURE FROM EIGHT ADDITIONAL ROOMS
GIVING US A TOTAL OF 16 MEETING ROOMS WITH TABLES AND CHAIRS.

E-MAIL ENTRIES ONLY TO jwpatt00 at uky.edu; REMEMBER TO PLACE AN ASTERISK BY
ANY TEAM COMPETING FOR THE PRESEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

A FEE OF $100/TEAM WILL BE ASSESSED FOR ANY DROPS AFTER WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4
AT 5 P.M.

Dear Director of Forensics:

This is your invitation to the 37th Annual University of Kentucky Collegiate
Debate Tournament on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, October 7, 8, & 9,
2006.  The Tournament will have one division: THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES
(Varsity) plus "THE PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

DATES:  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday,  October 7, 8, 9, 2006

FORMAT FOR THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES (VARSITY):  The format will consist of
eight preliminary rounds of switch-side, two-person teams debating the
2006-2007 topic.

         RESERVATIONS FOR ANNA BELL?S

The restaurant is located in downtown Lexington across from the courthouse
on upper street, and features both European and American cuisine.

If you want to dine at "Anna Bell?s" during the Kentucky Tournament, you
should call immediately.  The phone number is (859)-381-0900.  THE
RESTAURANT ALWAYS FILLS  ON WEEKENDS SO PLEASE MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY.

        RESERVATIONS FOR HOLLY HILL INN

Ouita Papka, her husband Chris, and Roger Solt have opened a restaurant in
Midway, Kentucky. They are open Wednesday through Saturday evening and
Sunday for brunch. The food is superb.  Ouita changes the menu frequently
with creative dishes.  Call 859-846-4732 for reservations.  Let them know
you're with the debate tournament.  Please inquire at the registration desk
for directions to the Holly Hill Inn.

FULL DOUBLE-OCTA

Should we have ninety or more teams, we will have double octas en-route to
the Sweet Sixteen.

FORMAT FOR THE PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

This event will be an elimination bracket probably beginning at the
quarter-final level, but could begin earlier or later depending on the
number of entries.  Even if we have a partial octofinal, we will work out a
scheme in which novices who participate in Varsity octofinals but
subsequently lose will be able to enter the elimination bracket at the
quarterfinal level. "Novice" will be defined as students who are debating
for the first time in college this year.  To be eligible for this division,
debaters must have first participated in the preliminary rounds of the Henry
Clay Varsity Debates.

TOURNAMENT PRACTICES:

        A. Rounds Per Day.  There will be four rounds held on Saturday and
Sunday, with elimination rounds on Monday.

        B. Procedure for Assigning Judges.  Judges will be assigned on a
selective procedure based on the input of the coaches.  Random assignments
will not be followed.

        C. Breaking Brackets.  We will continue the practice of not
breaking brackets in the elimination rounds.  Thus, teams from the same
school will meet if their numbers fall accordingly.

JUDGES:  Each school is expected to provide one judge per team.
Accordingly, a coach with one team will be expected to judge four rounds;
plus at least one elimination round.  A coach with two teams is expected to
judge all eight rounds; plus at least one elimination round. NOTE:  In
addition to his or her preliminary judging assignments, each judge is
expected to stay one round past that in which their team is eliminated.
Hence, each judge is expected to be available at least through
quarter-finals.  HIRED JUDGES ARE NOT AVAILABLE. WE WILL, HOWEVER, REFER
PEOPLE WHO WISH TO JUDGE AT THE HENRY CLAY TO THOSE COACHES WHO ARE HOPING
TO HIRE JUDGES.

REGISTRATION FEE:  The registration for the Henry Clay Debates is
one-hundred and fifty dollars ($150) per team. A twenty dollar ($20)
surcharge will be assessed to each novice team who wishes to be considered
for the special elimination bracket in the competition for the title
"PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS".  The surcharge is to defray the
cost of additional trophies.  Fees include coaches parties each night plus
one luncheon and continental breakfast.  If you pay by check, please make
the check payable to UK Student Forum.

TRANSPORTATION:  Unfortunately, UK can no longer provide transportation to
and from the airport or campus.

FRIDAY REGISTRATION:  All registration will take place Friday evening,
October 6, 2006 in the Lexington Suite of the Ramada Hotel Deluxe
(Formerly Harley Hotel) between 6:30 and 11 p.m.  No registration will occur
on Saturday.

HOUSING: The Ramada Hotel Deluxe is the Tournament Hotel: (859) 299-1261.
Cost:  $84 per night for one to four people.  Each school must secure its
own housing.  Arrangements should be made immediately.  Most motel managers
say they will be completely filled by mid-September.  We are competing with
Thoroughbred racing at Keenland Race Course as well as UK football.  PLEASE
make your reservations immediately. OUR BLOCK OF ROOMS WILL BE HELD UNTIL
WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 27TH.

SINCE ALL SOCIAL EVENTS AND ELIMINATION ROUNDS WILL BE HELD AT THE RAMADA
HOTEL DELUXE, WE URGE YOU TO STAY THERE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Arrangements
have been made with the Ramada Hotel Deluxe for a special rate or $84 plus
tax per night.

RAMADA HOTEL DELUXE (Formerly the HARLEY HOTEL (Convention Hotel):  100
rooms available
Reservations held until Sept. 27
(859) 299-1261
$84+ tax (1-4 people) flat rate.
Reservation Code:  Kentucky Debates

CAUTION IN THE USE OF RAMADA ROOMS:  When you check out, the Ramada Hotel
Deluxe will have a staff person check the room.  If it is unduly dirty or
trashed, the hotel will assess an additional $25 cleaning fee per room. If
the carpet has to be shampooed, it will be an additional $50 per room.

SUGGESTED OVER-FLOW HOTELS

DAYS INN (1 Block from Ramada)
(859) 299-1202

RED ROOF INN NORTH (1 block from Ramada)
859-293-2626 or 1-800-733-7663.

IF THE ABOVE ARE FILLED TRY:

HOLIDAY INN NORTH (1 mile from Ramada)
(859) 232 - 0512

SPRING HILL SUITES
863 South Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky 40504
Phone:  1-859-225-1500

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LEXINGTON-DOWNTOWN/UNIVERSITY
1000 EXPORT STREET
LEXINGTON, KY 40504
1-859-389-6800

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE TOTAL TAX ON LEXINGTON LODGING IS 11.3 PERCENT.

QUESTIONS OR LAST MINUTE CHANGES:  If any questions arise, or of any last
minute changes occur, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My telephone
numbers are:

University Office: (859) 257-1665
Debate Office: (859) 257-6523
Home: (859) 272-4268
Fax: (859) 323-1995
Cell: (859) 552-7297

E-Mail: jwpatt00 at uky.edu

If you need to reach me after 4:00pm, October 3rd, until the end of the
tournament, you can contact me at the Ramada Hotel Deluxe, Lexington Suite,
(859) 299-1261.

I am looking forward to seeing you and your teams at the University of
Kentucky's 2006 Debates.

Sincerely,

J.W. Patterson
Director of Debate