[eDebate] 4th International Debate Academy 2006

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Mon Jul 24 06:45:31 CDT 2006

There are a number of reasons why university students would want to
attend the 4th International Debate Academy to be held in Ormuz,
Slovenia in November (Thanksgiving holiday in the USA).
1. Receive instruction from a distinguished group of trainers from all
over the world. (See list)
2. Meet, debate and learn from other students from all over the world
(13 countries in 2005).
3. Get rigorous training in British Parliamentary format debating, a
great way to enter the world of international competition and
parliamentary debating if you have not done so already.
4. Very reasonable price, 190 Euros covers all training expenses, plus
housing and complete meals. Much less expensive than other international
debate events and forums,.
5. Great social activities.
6. Easy flights to Slovenia using EasyJet, fly to Ljubljana. Americans
can get inexpensive flights to Venice, Asians can fly to Vienna or
Berlin. Buy early and save.

FACULTY:

NEW ADDITION - Lars Duursma is the current ESL world champion debating.
Twice became a European champion ESL (2003, 2005) and reached the EFL
semi-finals in 2006. This year he was elected president of the European
debating council. As co-founder of a leading Netherlands-based training
agency, Debatrix, he\has given debate and persuasion training to all
major Dutch political parties, ministries, large organizations,
universities and secondary schools. Also, he analyses debates in
newspapers and on television.

Sam Greenland, Hong Kong, experienced British debate organizer how
coaches Hong Kong World Schools team.

Sam Nelson, Cornell University, USA, famous USA debate coach with
national championships.

Loke Wing Fatt, Society of Associated Intertertiary Debaters, Singapore,
experienced debate organizer and trainer from Asia, recently organizing
workshops and contests in Malaysia and China.

Branka Josimov, Association for Creative Communication and Debate,
Serbia, veteran of international debate training and an originator of
Balkan debating.

Maja Nenadovic, Croatia, experienced debate trainer in Europe and South
America, now finishing her doctoral work in Amsterdam.

Alfred Snider, University nof Vermont, USA, has trained debaters on five
continents, three recent debate texts published, director of World
Debate Institute.

Bojana Skrt, ZIP national debate program, Slovenia, has done countless
training workshops, former vice president of IDEA, currently on World
Schools Council.

NEW ADDITION - Chris Burk, University of Texas at Dallas, USA, leading
USA debaate coach with an academic background in international relations.

PENDING - Jason Jarvis, Korea Development Institute Graduate School of
Public Policy and Management, Korea, the leading debate promoter in
Korea and throughout Asia. Has sponsored high school and university
workshops in Korea.

CONTACT INFORMATION: IDAS2006 at GMAIL.COM. You can also visit the website
www.ljudmila.org/debata/en.

Here is the information offered by Primoz Karnar, one of the event
organizers:

INTERNATIONAL DEBATE ACADEMY SLOVENIA
For university students

17th ? 24th November 2006, Ormoz, Slovenia

ZIP ? Za in proti (ZIP), Pro et Contra, Institute for the Culture of
Dialogue
WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA

Shortly, what is it about?
It is about intensive debate training & debate tournament & a lot of
fun. It is organized by ZIP ? Pro et Contra, Institute of Culture of
Dialogue, Slovenia, and WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA. Head
of Trainers is Alfred C. Snider, worldwide known professor of debate
from the World Debate Institute. Participants will be provided with a
research package that will include basic information about the topics
covered. The essence of the Academy will be interactive workshops, based
on practice. At the end of the Academy, there will be a tournament in
British Parliamentary Style.

IDAS 2003 & IDAS 2004 & IDAS 2005
We are organizing International Debate Academy Slovenia for the 4th
time. The first one, IDAS 2003, was a modest start with 40 participants
from Germany, Slovakia the USA and Slovenia. The IDAS 2004 was a huge
success ? over 60 participants from 13 countries from all over Europe
and America (Bulgaria, Croatia, England, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia,
Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Sweden, the USA, and
Slovenia). We had trainers from the USA, England, Serbia and Slovenia.
The ambassadors of the USA and EU, who joined the discussions on the
transatlantic relations, also visited us. Not many events do have such
high-ranking guests. IDAS 2005 was a further step towards international
success ? about 60 participants form 19 countries and excellent debate
trainers form Asia, Europe, and America.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, MORE DETAILED INFORMATION

For whom do we organize it?
We organize IDAS2005 for ALL university students from all over the world.
It is designed for students who want to develop their rhetorical and
debate skills and deepen their knowledge on current socio-political
issues. We will have various workshops in small groups ? for
experienced, for less experienced debaters and also for debaters with no
experience. At the end of the Academy everybody will debate and have the
opportunity to learn from each other.

Basic activities
Activities during the Academy will be divided in three parts:

1. Interactive debate training during the first days of IDAS 2006. This
is the main and the most important part. The Academy will consist of
lectures, workshops and debates. We will provide further knowledge on
debating and public speaking by working with famous debate trainers for
students whose debating skills and experience vary and bring together
international university students and experts to engage in discussions
on the issue of importance, confronting their own views, opinions and
ideas as well as those of others.
2. Debate tournament: we will have a real debate tournament at the end
of the Academy. There will be a chance for participants with different
levels of experience to debate with each other and by that learn from
each other.
3. Evening activities: we will organize a kitch-party, a country
exhibition (presentation of food & drinks, history, politics, etc. of
every country participating ? the real international cultural exchange),
fun games, dancing + lots of talking and getting to know each other
(maybe even a chance for a romance?).

Outline of a day?s schedule:
8.00 ? 9.00 am: Breakfast
9.00 ? 11.30 am: Lectures and discussions
11.30 am: Coffee Break
12.00 ? 1.30 pm: Debate and public speaking workshop
1.30 ? 3.00 pm: Lunch break
3.00 ? 5.00 pm: Debate and public speaking workshop
5.00 pm: Coffee break
5.30 ? 7.00 pm: Practice debate
7.00 ? 8.00 pm: Dinner
8.00 ? 9.30 pm: Open forum, experts, academics, high governmental
representatives,
media and general public invited

Faculty
Director of the Academy: Bojana Skrt, ZIP, Slovenia
Head of Trainers: Alfred C. Snider, World Debate Institute, University
of Vermont, USA
Further trainers to be announced soon.

Participation fee & what does it cover?
The participation fee will be 190 Euro.
There might be a possibility for scholarships ? it depends on the
funding we will get. No worries ? apply and we will inform you about
these possibilities as soon as we get this information!
The sum of 190 Euro covers virtually everything ? training, tournament,
accommodation and three meals per day. You only have to cover your
travel expenses. There are great opportunities to come to Slovenia by
low-cost airlines: easyJet to Ljubljana, Ryanair to Graz in Austria,
many low-cost airlines to Zagreb etc. If you plan your trip in advance,
you can get return tickets from London for as little as 50-100 Euro.
Contact us on IDAS2006 at gmail.com and let us become your travel advisor!

APPLICATION DEADLINE
Application deadline is 15th September! The sooner you apply the higher
your chances of being accepted will be. We will be able to accept only a
limited number of participants!

Conditions for applying:
? Be a university student
? Fill in the online application form till 15th September. The
application form is available on http://www.ljudmila.org/debata/en
Criteria for acceptance of participants:
? 'First come first serve' rule will apply
? This criteria will be corrected by the criteria of quota per country ?
we want to assure a true international environment

?NOW CONTACT US ON: IDAS2006 at GMAIL.COM. You can also visit our website
www.ljudmila.org/debata/en.

We will provide you with any information about the IDAS2006 you may
desire! :)

Primoz Karnar,

On behalf of the
Organizing Committee