[eDebate] International Debate Conference -- and more!

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Mon Jul 24 07:00:42 CDT 2006

When IDEA decided not to sponsor their global debate academic conference
again, many thought that there was a serious need for such an event. Two
of those were Bojana Skrt of Z.I.P., the national debate program of
Slovenia, and Igar Zagar who teaches at the University of Primorska,
They encouraged me to help them organize a similar conference, but with
some differences. A sincere attempt should be made to bring different
parts of what I would call the ?critical thinking? movement together.
Thus, scholars in argumentation should co-mingle with debate scholars
and with teachers who are using argumentation and debate to change the
face of global education. The goal was also to provide an affordable
conference experience. This conference will be in Koper, Slovenia,
November 2006.

The website is at http://debate.uvm.edu/betterworld.htm

Especially for my American audience, here are some things to consider:
1. After we accept your abstract we will be glad to work with you to
obtain funding from your sponsoring institution.
2. The papers will be juried and published in a proceedings.
3. Easy and simple travel from NYC-JFK to Venice, very close to Koper.
Fantastic tourist opportunities on the Adriatic coast - close to Italy,
Austria, Croatia and Hungary and some of the bluest water in the world.
4. Very modest fee.
5. Network in a ten century-old cafe in city center.
6. Interested scholars should indicate their interest and we will try
and find a panel that fits their area of expertise.

Here are some debate-related panels that we are interested in finding
people for:

Debate across the curriculum - subject areas, results
The crisis of assessment in debating
Middle school debate programs
Deliberative education
]European Youth Parliament
European Comenius Project
Debate and success
Format specificity - is it debiulitating?
Using New Media to promote Debating
Creating New forum for global competition

Here is some information from the website:

The Faculty of Humanities at the University of Primorska and the
Educational Research Institute , Slovenia, the World Debate Institute at
the University of Vermont USA, the National Education Institute of the
Republic of Slovenia and ZIP, Za in proti, zavod za kulturo dialoga/ Pro
et contra Institute for culture of dialogue Slovenia invite all scholars
of argumentation, rhetoric, debate, and educators using deliberative
education methodologies to the International Conference on
Argumentation, Rhetoric, Debate and the Pedagogy of Empowerment --
THINKING AND SPEAKING A BETTER WORLD, 24-26 November 2006, Koper, Slovenia

The conference will welcome scholars and educators from diverse fields
for vigorous dialogue and exchange. This conference will unite scholars
of argumentation and rhetoric, teachers, and organizers of local,
national and international debating networks to discuss critical
thinking and advocacy discourse through pedagogy.
This conference is extremely timely. A global information society which
seeks reasoned solutions to problems through broad citizen involvement
needs to develop and refine techniques for criticizing and validating
ideas through discourse and then impart these to new generations of
citizens if we are to create a better future and avoid looming crises.
This conference represents a unique opportunity to share ideas, network
and cross-fertilize with global critical thinkers.
The conference will generate a proceedings volume that will be provided
to all attendees within six months of the completion of the conference.
Submissions will be selected from the papers available at the date of
the conference.
The program for the conference will have three themes. Submissions are
encouraged to center their work on one of the three themes and to submit
proposals to the appropriate conference division. Interdisciplinary work
is welcome.
? Argumentation and rhetoric. The use of logic and reason to criticize
and analyze ideas through communication. Those interested in research on
argumentation theory, criticisms of communication acts and scholarship
on argumentation practice are encouraged to submit to this division.
? Debate. The use of formal argumentation forums to educate and empower
citizens. Those interested in work on the practice and theory of debate
competition, public debates, research on the impact of debate for
participants, and theorizing about debate paradigms are encouraged to
submit to this division.
? Critical thinking/pedagogy. Teaching and the methodology of teaching
in the active classrooms. Those interested in using debate and
argumentation in classrooms, discussion of experiences and teaching
lessons relating to communication and critical thinking are encouraged
to submit to this division.
If your proposal does not fit into these categories do not worry! Send
your idea to us and we will figure out where it goes. If you are not
sure which division you belong in, send your proposal to
alfred.snider at uvm.edu.
We welcome submissions in the form of:
? Panels or individual academic papers
? Discussion groups focusing on cutting edge concepts
? Public debates about important issues in these fields
? Samples and presentations of active pedagogy
? Creative presentations that inspire and motivate
? Workshops that provide instruction in new techniques and programs

Submissions should be sent via email to the appropriate division. Those
interested should provide title and abstract of less than 150 words (in
English or Slovenian).

Submission for proposals is open immediately and all submissions will be
considered on a rolling basis until August 1 2006. Early submissions
will be considered and approved as quickly as possible and space is
limited, later submissions may not be accepted. The committees will
evaluate and confirm the acceptance of the proposals as quickly as
possible with the final selection being made by September 1 2006.
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM IN ENGLISH
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM IN SLOVENIAN
Please note that admission to the conference and housing must be
coordinated through Bojana Skrt bojana.skrt at siol.net.
Proposals should be sent to the following addresses:
Argumentation and Rhetoric: igor.zagar at guest.arnes.si, controv at fau.edu,
f.h.vaneemeren at uva.nl (send to all three)
Debate: alfred.snider at uvm.edu
Pedagogy: bojana.skrt at siol.net
Proposals in Slovenian are welcome, as there will be a special track for
Slovenian presentations and audiences. The conference is open to the
public and we encourage all interested to attend.
A committee of conference organizers and scholars will examine
submissions to each division. The members of the argumentation division
committee are:
Igor Zagar, Educational Research Institute and University of Primorska,
Slovenia
Frans van Eemeren, Department of Speech Communication, Argumentation
Theory and Rhetoric, University of Amsterdam
David Williams, Florida Atlantic University, USA
The members of the debate division committee are:
Alfred Snider, University of Vermont USA
Virginija Paksiene, Informal Education Debate Center, Lithuania
Omar Salahuddin, Multimedia University, Malaysia
The members of the pedagogy division committee are:
Zora Rutar, National Education Institute, Slovenia
Maxwell Schnurer, Department of Communication, Humboldt State
University, USA
Bojana Skrt, ZIP Slovenia.

?
The Conference will be held at the Faculty of Humanities in Koper,
http://www.fhs-kp.si. The participation fee is 55 Euros and covers the
conference sessions and materials as well as a banquet. The participants
will be accommodated in different locations in Koper, depending on the
budget option they choose. There are different accommodations possible,
from 19 Euros in high school dormitory to 31 Euros in Hotel Vodisek,
http://www.hotel-vodisek.com/ The prices are for one person/night in two
? bedrooms, and single rooms are 10 Euros more per night. There are also
many other available hotels in Koper, Izola and Piran, and information
can be found through a web search.

The application deadline to attend is September 15 2006. The payment for
the participation fee should be transferred to ZIP bank account by
October 2006. All inquires about application, accommodation and other
information should be sent to Bojana Skrt at bojana.skrt at siol.net.

Koper is a beautiful old town at the Adriatic coast, one hour from the
capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana, and two hours from Venice, Italy and
half an hour from the Croatian border. Low cost flights from within
Europe are available to Ljubljana and Trieste with connecting short
train and bus rides to Koper. We recommend that participants from
overseas check the option of flying to Venice. This would allow for an
exciting tourist opportunity to be part of your trip. There are regular
train connections between Venice and Trieste and a bus connection to
Koper. We will also organize vans for pickup in Venice and then bring
you to Koper if you register and pay a modest fee.

Organizing committee:
Bojana Skrt, Za in proti, zavod za kulturo dialoga, Slovenia
Alfred C. Snider, World Debate Institute, University of Vermont, USA
Igor Zagar, Educational Research Institute and University of Primorska,
Slovenia
??
Visit nearby Izola

--