[eDebate] 2006 GSU Tournament Invitation

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Mon Jul 24 09:36:12 CDT 2006

We're not upon debateresults.com yet (technical difficulties on my end), but
will be in the next 24 hours. The invite text is below:

********************

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to invite you and your students to attend the seventh annual
GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY NATIONAL DEBATE TOURNAMENT, to be held in Atlanta,
September 23-25, 2006. This invitation contains all the information you will
need to register, including hotel info.

We are committed to providing you and your students with a wonderful debate
experience. We have secured the same hotel we used last year, negotiated
rates under $100 a night, kept registration costs low, and kept the entire
tournament centrally located within a single building complex on our campus.

We have made some minor changes to the invitation, so please read it though.
One significant change this year is the addition of the...

Here are some of the major tournament FEATURES I hope will entice you to
visit us in Atlanta:

****  A FULL SERVICE, 3-division tournament. Open, JV, and novice divisions
(we may collapse the JV and novice divisions for prelims if an inadequate
number of teams register). 8 prelim rounds in Open and 6 in JV and novice,
with elims for all 3 divisions. We normally break to a full doubles bracket
in Open and semis in JV. If fewer than 70 open teams register, however, we
may move to modified doubles.

****  High QUALITY COMPETITION. We expect to exceed our national draw from
last year. Most of the best programs in the southeast have committed to
attend, often with their top teams. We are eager to welcome programs from
around the nation to attend our tournament.

****  A full and COMPREHENSIVE tournament CASE and argument LIST provided
for all teams.

****  A TAB ROOM staff that reflects the DIVERSITY of our CIRCUIT, dedicated
to making all participants feel welcome, regardless of their program's
historical commitments. Mike Davis will be running our tab room again this
year, with Alysia Davis running the case list effort (so maybe we can start
approaching Wake's level of efficiency). We're committed to enthusiastically
implementing CEDA policies on sexual harassment and inclusion. We are
seeking placement on the official CEDA calendar, and commit to implement all
the policies necessary to have the tournament accredited for inclusion in
the CEDA and NDT rankings processes.

****  An ongoing COMMITMENT TO HOSPITALITY. We will offer breakfast and
extensive snacks on Saturday and Sunday, including high quality coffee all
day long. The tournament is located within one block of Underground Atlanta,
a subterranean mall with a major food court that makes lunch cheap and
convenient both prelim days.

****  Great FACILITIES. We've reserved rooms to accommodate over 100 teams
in ONE MAJOR CLASSROOM COMPLEX, so as to minimize room moves. No
cross-campus hikes! Additional rooms will be added if necessary.

**** ON-LINE TOURNAMENT ENTRY. We will be using Jon Bruschke's on-line
tournament entry system, making it easy for you to add and revise teams and
judges.

****  WELCOME TO ATLANTA. Great hotels, wonderful restaurants and nightlife,
easy to get around, tons of great things to do within an easy drive from
campus or the tournament hotel.

****  Typically GREAT FALL WEATHER.

Information about the other logistics of this event are enclosed. Please
move quickly to secure your reservations at the Renaissance Atlanta Hotel
Downtown.

Please join us in Atlanta this September!

Sincerely,

Dr.Joe Bellon
Director of Debate

Department of Communication
Georgia State University
University Plaza
1 Park Place
Atlanta, Georgia 30303

office: 404-651-3200
fax: 404-651-1409
tournament e-mail: debate.gsu at gmail.com

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

HOTEL. The tournament hotel is the Renaissance Atlanta Hotel Downtown,
located at 590 West Peachtree Street, NW, in Atlanta. We have reserved a
block of 130 rooms at the tournament rate of $94 per night for
double-doubles. For reservations, call 888-391-8724 or 404-881-6000 and ask
for the "GSU Debate" room block. The block is open for registration right
now. Please make your reservations as soon as you reasonably can, as the
cut-off date is officially September 8.

This hotel is remarkably well located. It is about a 5 minute drive from
campus, and is accessible via MARTA's North Avenue station. It is also
within walking distance of a number of restaurants, including Atlanta's
famous Varsity restaurant, the largest fast-food establishment in the world.
The hotel offers high-speed internet access as part of its normal phone
usage fee. You can self-park your vehicle for only $10 per day, which is
amazing for downtown Atlanta.

For schools who wish to claim a tax exemption, the hotel prefers to receive
a copy of the tax exempt form, a purchase order, and to receive payment via
Government issue credit card or state check. Feel free to call the
information number at the Renaissance for details about this issue - the
hotel is eager to work with you.

DIRECTIONS TO THE HOTEL. The hotel's web site is:
http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage.mi?marshaCode=ATLBR

This web site includes a "driving directions" option which will give you
excellent directions to the hotel.

TOURNAMENT ADMINISTRATION DETAILS. We will debate the official CEDA
resolution. Any student meeting AFA eligibility requirements may enter the
open division. The JV and novice divisions will be restricted to students
who meet the relevant AFA requirements. Given the earliness of the season,
hybrid teams will be accepted AND will be allowed to debate in elims. 9-3-6,
10 minutes prep. We will use existing side constraints and flip-for-sides
procedures in the elimination round debates. The first two prelim debates
will be preset randomly. We will pair rounds 3 and 4 off the results of
rounds 1 and 2, high-low within brackets. We will pair rounds 5 and 6 off
the results of 1-4, high-low within brackets. Debates after that (rounds
7-8) will be individually power matched high-low within brackets. Clearing
teams and speakers will receive awards. We expect all judges at the
tournament to make a decision at the end of the round signifying that one
team has won and the other team has lost the debate, and to fill in
appropriate speaker points and ranks. Ballots attempting to award a double
win or loss will be adjusted to this procedure by use of a coin toss. We
will not break brackets in elimination rounds.

IF A JUDGE FULFILLING YOUR SCHOOL'S OBLIGATION DOES NOT SHOW UP for an
assigned round, we will assign another one of your judges (our choice) to
adjudicate an additional round beyond their original obligation. This is
true even if we are able to replace your absent judge with someone other
than a judge from your school.

ALL JUDGES are obligated to judge through octafinals, or one round after
their school's last team exits the tournament, whichever comes later.

CASE LIST: We ask that at registration you provide us with an exact plan
text for the case each of your teams is running, plus the 1AC outline and
1AC citations. In fact, we would really appreciate it if you could e-mail us
this information earlier in the week preceding the tournament, but we will
accept your outline after the tournament starts if you are still working on
it. We are collecting this information for the purpose of producing a
comprehensive case list given a small support staff. The information you
provide us will be kept absolutely confidential, and will not be released to
tournament participants until the morning of the second day of prelims.

FEES: Entry fees of $100 per Open team and $85 per JV or novice team.
Schools should supply 1 judge for every two teams, regardless of division.
Contact Joe Bellon if you need to hire judges, with as much lead time as
possible. We expect each school to cover their own judging obligations, and
we strongly encourage teams to bring judges whose reputation will allow them
to judge their entire commitment of rounds. If you are willing to be hired
beyond your obligation, please contact Bellon immediately - it is likely we
will want your services.

ENTERING: We are using Dr. Jon Bruschke's online tournament entry system.
This system can be accessed at
http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/index.aspx. Please enter your
teams and specify your judging by midnight Tuesday, September 20. Please
contact Joe Bellon if you are planning to enter more than 6 teams in a
single division.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22

6:00 - 9:30 p.m.    Registration, Renaissance Atlanta Hotel

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23

7:30 - 8:30     Pairings available at GSU Campus
8:30     ROUND 1
11:00     ROUND 2
1:00     Lunch on your own
3:00     ROUND 3
5:30     ROUND 4

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24

7:00 - 8:00     Pairings available at GSU Campus
8:00     ROUND 5
11:00    ROUND 6
1:00     Lunch on your own
3:30     ROUND 7*
6:30     ROUND 8*
Teams clearing announced at the tournament hotel

* Elimination rounds in the JV and novice divisions may begin during rounds
7 and 8, depending on the size of the division and our judging constraints.
If necessary, another JV or novice elim round will be held on Sunday, during
the second elimination round in the Open division.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

7:00 - 8:00     Pairings available, Renaissance Atlanta Hotel
8:00     First elimination round in open
AWARDS ASSEMBLY TO FOLLOW the first elimination round.
Rest of elimination rounds to follow, through finals.