[eDebate] 2006 GSU Tournament Invite (retry)

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Mon Jul 24 14:55:16 CDT 2006

I don't like Mondays...

***********************

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to invite you and your students to attend the seventh
annual GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY NATIONAL DEBATE TOURNAMENT, to be held
in Atlanta, September 23-25, 2006. This invitation contains all the
information you will need to register, including hotel info.

We are committed to providing you and your students with a wonderful
debate experience. We have secured the same hotel we used last year,
negotiated rates under $100 a night, kept registration costs low, and
kept the entire tournament centrally located within a single building
complex on our campus.

We have made some minor changes to the invitation, so please read it
though. One significant change this year is the addition of the...

Here are some of the major tournament FEATURES I hope will entice you
to visit us in Atlanta:

****  A FULL SERVICE, 3-division tournament. Open, JV, and novice
divisions (we may collapse the JV and novice divisions for prelims if
an inadequate number of teams register). 8 prelim rounds in Open and 6
in JV and novice, with elims for all 3 divisions. We normally break to
a full doubles bracket in Open and semis in JV. If fewer than 70 open
teams register, however, we may move to modified doubles.

****  High QUALITY COMPETITION. We expect to exceed our national draw
from last year. Most of the best programs in the southeast have
committed to attend, often with their top teams. We are eager to
welcome programs from around the nation to attend our tournament.

****  A full and COMPREHENSIVE tournament CASE and argument LIST
provided for all teams.

****  A TAB ROOM staff that reflects the DIVERSITY of our CIRCUIT,
dedicated to making all participants feel welcome, regardless of their
program's historical commitments. Mike Davis will be running our tab
room again this year, with Alysia Davis running the case list effort
(so maybe we can start approaching Wake's level of efficiency). We're
committed to enthusiastically implementing CEDA policies on sexual
harassment and inclusion. We are seeking placement on the official
CEDA calendar, and commit to implement all the policies necessary to
have the tournament accredited for inclusion in the CEDA and NDT
rankings processes.

****  An ongoing COMMITMENT TO HOSPITALITY. We will offer breakfast
and extensive snacks on Saturday and Sunday, including high quality
coffee all day long. The tournament is located within one block of
Underground Atlanta, a subterranean mall with a major food court that
makes lunch cheap and convenient both prelim days.

****  Great FACILITIES. We've reserved rooms to accommodate over 100
teams in ONE MAJOR CLASSROOM COMPLEX, so as to minimize room moves. No
cross-campus hikes! Additional rooms will be added if necessary.

**** ON-LINE TOURNAMENT ENTRY. We will be using Jon Bruschke's on-line
tournament entry system, making it easy for you to add and revise
teams and judges.

****  WELCOME TO ATLANTA. Great hotels, wonderful restaurants and
nightlife, easy to get around, tons of great things to do within an
easy drive from campus or the tournament hotel.

****  Typically GREAT FALL WEATHER.

Information about the other logistics of this event are enclosed.
Please move quickly to secure your reservations at the Renaissance
Atlanta Hotel Downtown.

Please join us in Atlanta this September!

Sincerely,

Dr.Joe Bellon
Director of Debate

Department of Communication
Georgia State University
University Plaza
1 Park Place
Atlanta, Georgia 30303

office: 404-651-3200
fax: 404-651-1409
tournament e-mail: debate.gsu at gmail.com

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

HOTEL. The tournament hotel is the Renaissance Atlanta Hotel Downtown,
located at 590 West Peachtree Street, NW, in Atlanta. We have reserved
a block of 130 rooms at the tournament rate of $94 per night for
double-doubles. For reservations, call 888-391-8724 or 404-881-6000
and ask for the "GSU Debate" room block. The block is open for
registration right now. Please make your reservations as soon as you
reasonably can, as the cut-off date is officially September 8.

This hotel is remarkably well located. It is about a 5 minute drive
from campus, and is accessible via MARTA's North Avenue station. It is
also within walking distance of a number of restaurants, including
Atlanta's famous Varsity restaurant, the largest fast-food
establishment in the world. The hotel offers high-speed internet
access as part of its normal phone usage fee. You can self-park your
vehicle for only $10 per day, which is amazing for downtown Atlanta.

For schools who wish to claim a tax exemption, the hotel prefers to
receive a copy of the tax exempt form, a purchase order, and to
receive payment via Government issue credit card or state check. Feel
free to call the information number at the Renaissance for details
about this issue - the hotel is eager to work with you.

DIRECTIONS TO THE HOTEL. The hotel's web site is:
http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage.mi?marshaCode=ATLBR

This web site includes a "driving directions" option which will give
you excellent directions to the hotel.

TOURNAMENT ADMINISTRATION DETAILS. We will debate the official CEDA
resolution. Any student meeting AFA eligibility requirements may enter
the open division. The JV and novice divisions will be restricted to
students who meet the relevant AFA requirements. Given the earliness
of the season, hybrid teams will be accepted AND will be allowed to
debate in elims. 9-3-6, 10 minutes prep. We will use existing side
constraints and flip-for-sides procedures in the elimination round
debates. The first two prelim debates will be preset randomly. We will
pair rounds 3 and 4 off the results of rounds 1 and 2, high-low within
brackets. We will pair rounds 5 and 6 off the results of 1-4, high-low
within brackets. Debates after that (rounds 7-8) will be individually
power matched high-low within brackets. Clearing teams and speakers
will receive awards. We expect all judges at the tournament to make a
decision at the end of the round signifying that one team has won and
the other team has lost the debate, and to fill in appropriate speaker
points and ranks. Ballots attempting to award a double win or loss
will be adjusted to this procedure by use of a coin toss. We will not
break brackets in elimination rounds.

IF A JUDGE FULFILLING YOUR SCHOOL'S OBLIGATION DOES NOT SHOW UP for an
assigned round, we will assign another one of your judges (our choice)
to adjudicate an additional round beyond their original obligation.
This is true even if we are able to replace your absent judge with
someone other than a judge from your school.

ALL JUDGES are obligated to judge through octafinals, or one round
after their school's last team exits the tournament, whichever comes
later.

CASE LIST: We ask that at registration you provide us with an exact
plan text for the case each of your teams is running, plus the 1AC
outline and 1AC citations. In fact, we would really appreciate it if
you could e-mail us this information earlier in the week preceding the
tournament, but we will accept your outline after the tournament
starts if you are still working on it. We are collecting this
information for the purpose of producing a comprehensive case list
given a small support staff. The information you provide us will be
kept absolutely confidential, and will not be released to tournament
participants until the morning of the second day of prelims.

FEES: Entry fees of $100 per Open team and $85 per JV or novice team.
Schools should supply 1 judge for every two teams, regardless of
division. Contact Joe Bellon if you need to hire judges, with as much
lead time as possible. We expect each school to cover their own
judging obligations, and we strongly encourage teams to bring judges
whose reputation will allow them to judge their entire commitment of
rounds. If you are willing to be hired beyond your obligation, please
contact Bellon immediately - it is likely we will want your services.

ENTERING: We are using Dr. Jon Bruschke's online tournament entry
system. This system can be accessed at
http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/index.aspx. Please enter
your teams and specify your judging by midnight Tuesday, September 20.
Please contact Joe Bellon if you are planning to enter more than 6
teams in a single division.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22

6:00 - 9:30 p.m.    Registration, Renaissance Atlanta Hotel

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23

7:30 - 8:30     Pairings available at GSU Campus
8:30     ROUND 1
11:00     ROUND 2
1:00     Lunch on your own
3:00     ROUND 3
5:30     ROUND 4

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24

7:00 - 8:00     Pairings available at GSU Campus
8:00     ROUND 5
11:00    ROUND 6
1:00     Lunch on your own
3:30     ROUND 7*
6:30     ROUND 8*
Teams clearing announced at the tournament hotel

* Elimination rounds in the JV and novice divisions may begin during
rounds 7 and 8, depending on the size of the division and our judging
constraints. If necessary, another JV or novice elim round will be
held on Sunday, during the second elimination round in the Open
division.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

7:00 - 8:00     Pairings available, Renaissance Atlanta Hotel
8:00     First elimination round in open
AWARDS ASSEMBLY TO FOLLOW the first elimination round.
Rest of elimination rounds to follow, through finals.