[eDebate] King's Touirnament Invite

Berry, Mike MikeBerry
Mon Jul 31 10:23:42 CDT 2006

Attached you will find the invitation to the King's tournament.  It is
also pasted below for your convenience.

Mike Berry
Director of Debate

Please indicate if any of your students needs special accommodations.

								August
1, 2006

Dear Colleague:

   King's College would like to invite you to the 55th Annual
Connelly-Garvey Debate Tournament on September 22-24, 2006.  The
Connelly-Garvey is sanctioned by the American Debate Association and the
Cross Examination Debate Association and adheres to the rules of each
organization including sexual harassment policies.  The preliminary
rounds will be Friday and Saturday with the elimination rounds on
Sunday.  We will have three divisions of debate, Open, Junior Varsity,
and Novice.

   Eligibility for each division is based upon rules of the Cross
Examination Debate Association and the American Debate Association.  The
time limits are 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep.  Again, I am pleased to
announce that Brett O'Donnell and Frank Harrison have graciously agreed
to run the tabroom for the tournament.

   We will be using the Holiday Inn again this year.  They will be
provided a full hot breakfast each day of the tournament. Coffee will be
available at the school but there will be no breakfast served at the
school. The rate is $64 per room plus tax.  We are holding a block of
rooms at the hotel but I would strongly suggest that you make your
reservations now.  The last day to get this rate is 9/10/2006 after that
it will be on a space available basis.  When reserving rooms, the block
of rooms is under the name "King's College Debate Tournament". The group
code is "KCD".  Should you have any questions or need to make
alternative arrangements, please contact me or Cindy Owens (Sales
Department) at the Holiday Inn. .

   As per our tradition, we will be operating under the rules of the
American Debate Association and the Cross Examination Debate
Association.  Should you need a copy of the rules, they are available on
this website, www.kings.edu/debate.   All divisions will use the same
topic.

   On behalf of the College, and myself we hope to see you at our
tournament

Sincerely,

Michael R. Berry
Director of Debate

--------

REGISTRATION

   The entry deadline will be September 21, 2006 at 5:00 pm.  You may
email your entry but I would prefer that you use the online entry
system.  Any drops after that time will be assessed a $30 fee to cover
the cost of food.  There will be a morning registration from 10:00am to
12:00 at the Holiday Inn.  Afternoon registration will take place in the
lobby of McGowan Hall (the business school building) between the hours
of 12:30 and 1:30 p.m. Please do not park in the parking lot next to
McGowan School of Business. That lot is reserved for a Board of
Directors meeting.

CASELIST

Each participating team is required to present at registration an
electronic outline of the 1AC's that will be read either in round 1or 2.
Please include full cites for the arguments you make.  We will post to
edebate a case list of all the 1AC's after the conclusion of rounds on
Friday and will make hard copies for each squad (one per squad).  Yes, I
know that some of you will be finishing the 1AC's on the way to the
tournament and yes I know that it is a pain to provide one but
realistically, this is of great benefit to the community at large.
Please help us make this a success.

JUDGES

   Each school is responsible for providing a qualified judge for your
obligations.  One judge will cover up to 2 teams, 2 judges 4 teams, etc.
There is a possibility of hiring a judge for $30 per uncovered round.  I
am sorry about the increased fees here, but the cost of housing and
board necessitates the increase.  Judging obligations extend through the
quarter-final round or one round beyond your team's elimination
whichever occurs later.  Please indicate any teams or divisions your
judges should not judge on the registration form.  Judges are difficult
to find in Northeast Pennsylvania.  I will attempt to do my best to hire
but if I cannot cover your obligation, I will have to restrict the
number of teams you enter.  If you need to hire you must let me know by
September 10, 2006.

DIVISIONS

Separate elimination rounds will be held for teams in Open, Junior
Varsity and Novice. See ADA and CEDA rules for definitions. There may be
new definitions of divisions depending upon the outcome of summer voting
by the membership.

FEES

   Entry fees are $30 per person.  A person is defined as anyone
associated with a program. Fees are due at registration.  No purchase
orders will be accepted.  We try to encourage small programs to attend.
Therefore, if the entry fee presents a problem, please contact me.  We
will work something out.  Our intent is to maximize the opportunity for
all in the community.

HOUSING

   The Holiday Inn is located 880 Kidder Street in Wilkes-Barre.  To get
to the hotel, you take Interstate 81 (north or south) to exit 170B.
>From that exit take 309 North to exit 1. From the exit, you make a right
onto Kidder Street and go through 2 traffic lights.  The hotel is on
your right.   Please confirm your reservation directly with the Holiday
Inn (570) 824-8901 no later than September 10, 2005.  Overbook early if
you are uncertain about the number of rooms you need.

INFORMATION

   For further information, contact me at:  Michael Berry, Director of
Debate, Department of Theater and Speech, King's College, Wilkes-Barre,
PA 18711-0801 (email - mrberry at kings.edu) or call (570) 208-5900, Ext.
5681 or leave a message at (570) 208-5900, Ext. 5702.  In an emergency,
you can contact my cell phone at 570-604-4318.

-------
Tournament Schedule

Friday, September 22, 2006

10:00a.m.-12:00 p.m. 	  	Registration [Lobby of Holiday Inn]

12:30a.m.-1:30 p.m.	 	Registration [Lobby of McGowan]

2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.	  	Round I

4:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. 	 	Round II Reception afterwards (lite
snacks)

7:00 p.m.-9:30 p.m.  	  	Round III [Powered off of Rounds One and
Two]

Saturday, September 23, 2006
Breakfast available at the Holiday Inn

8:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. Coffee [Lobby McGowan Hall]

9:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. 		 Round IV
11:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.		 Lunch - Pizza and Drinks
2:15 p.m.-3:00 p.m. 		 Round V
3:00 p.m. - 5:30 pm		 Round VI
6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. 		 Double Octofinal Rounds (all judges
must be available)
9:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. 		 Elimination Teams Announced at Holiday
Inn and on 					 Edebate

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Breakfast available at the Holiday Inn

7:00 a.m.-8:00 a.m. 		Coffee [Lobby McGowan Hall]

8:00 a.m. - 10:30 am		Octofinal Rounds begin.  All judges are
obligated 						for this round.
 <<2006 Brushke site invite.doc>>