[eDebate] FWD: US Troops accused of killing Iraqi family

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Sun Jul 2 21:52:44 CDT 2006


Once again, this only proves that several US Soldiers have been accused of a
crime....If they are guilty they ought be punished.  How does this prove
your argument?  Plus, guess what - I AM AGAINST THE WAR!

Josh


On 7/2/06, walid kandeel <khemicalraydon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Is this the liberation you speak of Korcok.   Are these still too general
> claims for you Hoe.  Again my point here is that these are only incidents
> that are reported, not the only incidents that take place.
>
> all power to the people
> walid
>
> *
> *
>
>
>
> U.S. troops accused of killing Iraq family
>
> By RYAN LENZ, Associated Press Writer 3 minutes ago
>
>
>
> BEIJI, Iraq - The U.S. Army will investigate charges that five American
> soldiers were involved in the killings of four Iraqi relatives, including
> a
> woman who had been raped, military officials said Friday. It's the sixth
> current inquiry into the alleged slayings of Iraqi civilians by American
> troops.
>
> Some of the five soldiers also allegedly burned the body of the woman
> they are accused of assaulting in the March incident, a U.S. military
> official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of
> the
> sensitivity of the case.
> The U.S. command issued a statement saying only that Maj. Gen. James D.
> Thurman, commander of coalition troops in Baghdad, had ordered a criminal
> investigation into the alleged killing of a family of four in Mahmoudiyah,
> south of Baghdad.
> At least 14 American troops have been convicted in other cases.
> The United States also is investigating allegations that two dozen
> unarmed Iraqi civilians were killed by Marines in the western town of
> Haditha on Nov. 19 in a revenge attack after one of their own died in a
> roadside bombing.
> "The entire investigation will encompass everything that could have
> happened that evening. We're not releasing any specifics of an ongoing
> investigation," military spokesman Maj. Todd Breasseale said of the
> Mahmoudiyah allegations.
> "There is no indication what led soldiers to this home. The investigation
> just cracked open. We're just beginning to dig into the details."
>
> Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said he had no additional details on the
> incident but added that the military routinely investigates all
> allegations
> of misconduct.
> However, a U.S. official close to the investigation said at least one of
> the soldiers, all assigned to the 502nd Infantry Regiment, has admitted
> his
> role and been arrested. Two soldiers from the same regiment were slain
> this
> month when they were kidnapped at a checkpoint near Youssifiyah.
> The official told the AP the accused soldiers were from the same platoon
> as the two slain soldiers. The military has said one and possibly both of
> the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded.
> The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings
> of guilt and led at least one of them to reveal the rape-slaying on June
> 22.
> According to a senior Army official, the alleged incident was first
> revealed by a soldier during a routine counseling-type session. The
> official, who requested anonymity because the investigation is ongoing,
> said that soldier did not witness the incident but heard about it.
> A second soldier, who also was not involved, said he overhead soldiers
> conspiring to commit the crimes, and then later saw bloodstains on their
> clothes, the official said.
> He also said the four people killed included three adults and a child,
> and one of the adults was the woman who allegedly was raped.
> One of the accused soldiers already has been discharged and is believed
> to be in the United States, several U.S. officials said on condition of
> anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. The others have had their
> weapons taken away and are confined to Forward Operating Base Mahmoudiyah.
> Senior officers were aware of the family's death but believed it was due
> to sectarian violence, common in the religiously mixed town, a U.S.
> official said.
> The killings appeared to have been a "crime of opportunity," the official
> said. The soldiers had not been attacked by insurgents but had noticed the
> woman on previous patrols.
> ___ AP correspondent Ryan Lenz is embedded with the 101st Airborne
> Division in Beiji, Iraq. He was previously embedded with the 502nd
> Infantry
> Regiment in Mahmoudiyah. __ The Associated Press News and Information
> Research Center and Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this
> report.
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.Try it free.
>
>
>  ------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> eDebate mailing list
> eDebate at ndtceda.com
> http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.ndtceda.com/pipermail/edebate/attachments/20060702/a633f6ca/attachment.htm 



More information about the Mailman mailing list