[eDebate] ans Jarvis

Jason Jarvis debatekorea
Sun Jul 9 00:13:58 CDT 2006

Mike,

Feel free to respond by answering each individual argument.  So far your
response to me and Klemz is: "you are biased"....a claim lacking any
warrants or evidence that I can see.  To make it easier why dont you provide
some examples of how your belief that striking first will prevent future
problems.

In the status quo, the Bush doctrine has:

1. Alienated our allies and the general public in almost every country.
Anecdotally, I can report of the 8 or 9 countries I have visited in the past
4 years, I have only met one person that didnt hate George Bush.  He was
Israeli, and pretty much loves George, which is predictable.  This may be
unscientific, but you would tend to think that people would balance a little
more in their feelings about our president..........

2. Iran, North Korea: both disprove your argument.  No answer yet to my
points on this or Klemz's.  If you make an argument I am happy to listen to
it, but so far, all we are getting is a claim that I am biased.  I'm not
sure exactly what that means.  If that means my perspective is colored by
the fact that I live outside Fortress America, then I am guilty as charged.
Undoubtedly, having to live with the repurcussions of George's actions, and
the statements/behavior of Bolton, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz on a daily basis
give me a unique perspective.  I am unperuaded that you would want to
automatically/casually dismiss it without examining my claims
though....particularly if your goal is to examine ideas objectively.

3. The SCO:  I think that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization is a
significant example and a pretty big deal as it demonstrates that many
nations are uncomfortable enough with US hegemony, and preemptive tactics
that they are banding together to facilitate a multipolar geopolitical
environment.  It should be very troubling that countries such as Iran (an
enemy) and India (ostensibly an ally) are joining that group as formal
members/observers.

...........after 4 years, Korea is my home, but likely not where I will stay
forever.  It has taught me a ton about the way our country is viewed by
non-Americans, and impressed upon me that the myopic American belief that we
are the center of the universe is incredibly dangerous.  I am constantly
amazed at how much others know about us, no matter what country they are
from, and how little we know about them regardless of the size of their
country.  That myopia is often reflected in our foreign policy/foreign
policy debates (North Korea being a perfect example)....and Democrats are
just as guilty here as Republicans.