[eDebate] Quirin Decsion-is it doubly moot now?...(maybe...maybe not)

Brett Wallace bretagus
Tue Jul 11 14:13:28 CDT 2006

Its not moot...congress is holding hearings and can
decide whether they want to authorize the executive to
establish military tribunals or set up a military
courts martial. no doubt though, we wont know exactly
what is going on in the literature until after the
topic has been voted on. I for one think  that there
will always be some type of an advantage the aff can
run depending on what congress decides, and it would
be strategic because you would be able to non unqiue
most perception issues. ALso, with the negative
running uniquness CP's the entire geneva/enemy
combatant literature can be debated and the aff still
has to be ready for that CP. Lastly...this seems
ensure that one area of the topic would contiously be
updated and ensure that fresh and new articles and law
reviews are written about it. I for one think it
should still be included (cough, list number 6)

I know some people might not want to vote for a quirin
area now so if they do want a non quirin list i think
the best alterantive is list number seven (4
cases)..cross apply previous people's objection to an
unlimited resolution. The alternative would be list
number 5 (the 2nd biggest list)

-b

The Senate is unlikely to take up legislation
addressing the legal rights of suspected terrorists
until after Congress' August recess, Majority Leader
Bill Frist said Monday.

Frist's plan not to act until this fall pushes the
Guantanamo issue squarely into election season, when
Republicans will be seeking support from voters by
focusing on national security issues.

Republicans are discussing their legislative options
among themselves, Democrats and the Bush
administration, said Frist, a Republican.

"We will act legislatively," he said.

The Supreme Court on June 29 ruled 5-to-3 that
President George W. Bush's plan to try detainees
captured in the war on terror through military
tribunals violated U.S. and international law. Some
450 detainees are being held at the Guantanamo Bay
prison in Cuba.

The decision put the ball in Congress' court to pass
legislation dictating how suspected terrorists should
be prosecuted.

Lawmakers and congressional aides say there are a
range of options that could be pursued, including
passing legislation specifically authorizing Bush's
proposed military tribunals or setting up a system
similar to military courts-martial.