[eDebate] changing ceda topic selection

Pacedebate at aol.com Pacedebate
Fri Jun 2 14:37:57 CDT 2006

In a message dated 6/2/2006 12:27:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
delliott at kckcc.edu writes:

Issues  for today include:
Topic Selection Process  (Massey)

Having participated in a variety of ways with varying success the number  one
issue I have with the selection process is that often, the more work you do,
the more it gives people a target to shoot at and, hence, the best way to get
a  resolution on the ballot is to sandbag it. This is particularly true with
the  area vote. It felt weird that I was being accused of pushing a wording
that  didn't fall within the spirit of the area given that six or seven years
ago I  went ballistic about a few wordings that appeared on a  final ballot that
were more relevant to an area that lost than to the one  that won.
I've also felt that wordings went astray when author of the topic paper
either lost all input into the wordings or was outvoted. These are both more
historical concerns but I think they are relevant today in that often people  feel
like they vote for one area and get wordings that have nothing to do with
that area.
I think the best solution would be to jettison the area and move straight
into w