[eDebate] TC reform - proposal

Pacedebate at aol.com Pacedebate
Sat Jun 3 12:49:09 CDT 2006

I received some positive feedback about my ideas for TC reform and so here
is a proposal with specific amendments to the constitution spelled out at the
bottom.
The idea is that anyone who submits a wording paper would be able to get it
put on the ballot for the first vote. My proposal would remove the "area"
vote.
Everyone that met the minimum standards for a wording paper would have  their
proposal on the first ballot. Up to this point the only role of the TC  would
be to make sure that some wording papers were written. If there are a lot  of
wording papers then the TC wouldn't really have to do anything. If there
weren't any people willing to write wording papers it would be the
responsibility of the TC to write wording papers.
After the first vote the three top wording papers would then be "sent" to
the topic committee. The three people/groups who wrote the top three  wording
papers would be ensured that their wording would appear on the final  ballot.
Once the top three are sent to the TC the TC would meet in June, like they
do now, and they could suggest amendments to the original wording. The
writer(s)  of the wording paper could veto those amendments. The TC would also be
allowed  to add one or two wordings to each winning paper. So the final ballot
would end  up with as many as nine and as few as three resolutions.

Two advantages over the status quo:
1) This would ensure that people who voted for an "area" would end up with
at least one option that reflected what they had voted for. That to me solves
one of the biggest problems with the current process, which is that people
vote for an area and then hate the wordings that end up on the ballot for that
area.
2) It would focus the topic committee's task. Anyone who watched even a
small amount of the TC webcast should have left with the understanding that
despite the enormous amount of work the TC had done to prepare for the meeting
they were still really pressed for time to get everything done they wanted to
accomplish. One of the critical assumptions this committee made was that
"overrule a decision" will focus this topic. The TC is confident that phrase  will
both create a limit on the aff and establish core ground for the negative.  If
the "edebate masses" reach a consensus they are wrong about that assumption
the community will have one option left "Area #1 (first amendment)" topic.

I think this proposal does necessitate formalizing what constitutes a
"wording paper". I don't think a one paragraph post to edebate should count as a
wording paper. In the actual amendment to the CEDA constitution that I have
outlined below I specified what constitutes a wording paper although that could
be changed to say: "The topic committee will create a document formulating
minimum standards for wording papers"

A motion to replace Section 2 and 3 of Article IV of the CEDA  Constitution:

Article IV. Topic Selection

A. Balloting

1. No later than June 1 the topic committee will report to the Executive
Secretary no fewer than four wording papers to be voted upon by the general
membership. No later than early July the committee will report to the  Executive
Secretary no fewer than three and no more than nine wordings for final
balloting.
2. After phase one balloting, as outlined in section 3, the topic committee
will create one or two additional resolutions that correspond to each of the
winning wording papers. The topic committee may also suggest wording changes
to  the original wording in each paper however, the author(s) of that wording
paper will have final say over at least one of the resolutions appearing on
the final ballot. This process will create the final ballot of at least three
but no more than nine resolutions.

B. Wording papers
1. To be officially recognized as a "wording paper" the document must being
with a specific resolution that would conform to traditional standards of
resolutions selected as CEDA topics. The author(s) must include a section on
potential affirmatives and potential negative ground.
2. Any person or group submitting a wording paper to the topic committee
prior to May 15th that conforms to the above standards will be placed  on the
first topic balloting.

Section 3

The Executive Secretary will distribute a phase one topic selection ballot
to all CEDA members in early June. Only mailed, faxed, emailed or password
protected website ballots received by the deadline designated by the Executive
Secretary will be accepted. The designated deadline must be no more than five
days before the topic announcement date.
The Executive Secretary will distribute a final topic selection ballot  to
all CEDA members in early July. Only mailed, faxed, emailed or password
protected website ballots received by the deadline designated by the Executive
Secretary will be accepted. The designated deadline must be no more than five  days
before the topic announcement date.

Current version of Section 2, 3 and 4
_http://cedadebate.org/_ (http://cedadebate.org/)