[eDebate] phone congress to foster iraq DEBATE

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Tue Jun 6 08:14:47 CDT 2006

let's upset the plans of the patriotic no-debate republicano fucks.   your
responsibility as debaters to promote debate and i mean real debates that
matter to this country.   quickest path to pullout.     fwd on this puppy
and get people on the horn. see site below for PHONE NUMBERS OF
CONGRESSPEOPLES:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/060506R.shtml

Peace Movement to Phone Congress Demanding Debate on Iraq
    t r u t h o u t | Press Release

    Monday 05 June 2006

    United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) has organized a coalition of
organizations, all of which are asking their members to phone their US
congressmen on Wednesday, June 7, to urge them to sign a Discharge Petition
that would force, for the first time, a full and open debate on Iraq on the
floor of the House of Representatives.

    Participating organizations include: AfterDowningStreet.org, American
Friends Service Committee, Backbone Campaign, Code Pink, DC for Democracy,
Democracy Rising, Democrats.com, Maryknoll Office of Global Concerns,
NETWORK - A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby, Peace Action,
Progressive Democrats of America, Unitarian Universalist Association of
Congregations, Win Without War, and 20/20 Vision.

    The Discharge Petition, H. Res. 543, currently has 122 signatures,
including five Republicans. If 218 Congress members sign it, a bill on the
Iraq War will be forced to the floor, and a 17-hour debate will ensue, with
the time evenly split between parties, and with an "open rule," meaning that
all amendments can be offered, debated, and voted on.

    The Congressional Out of Iraq Caucus and peace activists began promoting
the petition over six months ago as a way to force members of Congress to
discuss a range of proposals on the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.
Debate in the House has been stifled by leadership that does not want to
discuss alternatives to President Bush's "stay the course" policy in Iraq.
The petition was filed on November 9, and House members were able to begin
signing it seven legislative days later.

    Following six months of pressure for a debate, and mounting bad news
from Iraq, Majority Leader John Boehner (R, Ohio) announced on May 2nd that
the House would hold a debate, possibly before Memorial Day. Other
Republicans resisted, however, and no debate has yet been held. On May 25,
the Chicago Tribune reported that Boehner was still committed to holding a
debate, but quoted Congressman Ray LaHood (R, Ill.) as saying, in opposition
to the idea: "It doesn't take a political mental giant here to figure it
out; Why would we want to have a 24-hour or a 60-hour debate on the thing
that's pulling our party down and pulling the president down? It's a bad
idea."

    "Our members think it would be a great idea for Congress to discuss our
disastrous Iraq policy and to search for solutions which have apparently
evaded the Bush administration," said Susan Udry, Legislative Coordinator
for UFPJ. "In light of revelations about Haditha, and as we grow closer to
the 2,500th US casualty, Congress has a moral imperative to bring the US
occupation of Iraq to an end."

    The peace groups phoning Congress on Wednesday fear that Boehner and
others may choose to hold a tightly-controlled debate framed by supporters
of the war. Citizens phoning in will be demanding a lengthy bipartisan
debate with an open rule, which will allow members to propose their plans to
bring the troops home. Citizens will be encouraging their representatives to
work to that end by signing the Discharge Petition and asking their
colleagues to do the same.

    "We don't need an election-year stunt," said Leslie Cagan, National
Coordinator of UFPJ. "We need a real debate, open to all proposals, and
forcing our representatives to go on the record. It's outrageous that we
have not yet had so much as a debate on the issue that Americans tell
pollsters is their top concern. Congress never authorized an enduring
occupation of Iraq and has never discussed it. Congress never authorized the
construction of permanent bases in Iraq or their use in threatening new wars
- and they have never even discussed it. The recent reports of war crimes in
Haditha, Ishaqi, and elsewhere suggest that the occupation is becoming
something far worse. The American people deserve to have these matters
debated by those we have elected to represent us, and that is what we will
be demanding on Wednesday in tens of thousands of phone calls."

HERE ARE THE PHONE NUMBERS:

http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.html

    For more informtion: http://www.unitedforpeace.org.