[eDebate] How to write an elegant legal topic.

Thu Jun 8 17:12:06 CDT 2006

By the way Steve and Ede, this is all in good fun. No real personal attacks in
anything I write. I invite you, Ede and anyone else I have offended on this
specific topic, (notice how I limit my liability) to drinks on me next time any
of you are down here in Dallas. People say I am a hoot to be around when I am
buying the drinks--but of course, I was buying THE DRINKS when they said that.

I too have to get back to work and I drafted another response. But to your
comment about elegance in topic construction deserves a rejoinder.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think topics should be a simple declarative
statements. But, I was asked to fix a problem that already exists. In my line
of work I have to do that a lot. its not my mess, i just get paid to claen it
up.

I was asked to clean up the mess that is the "list topics." The result is a
rather inartful compilation.

If I were ruler of the CEDA universe, but benevolent enough to my peons who want
to debate a legal topic, my resolution(s) would be:

Resolved: the United States Supreme Court should rule that the penalty of death
in all cases is unconstitutional.

or

Resolved: that the United States Supreme Coulrt should rule that race based
classifications in governmental activities are subject to the rational basis
test.

That's it. Those are my perfect resolutions on this topic area.

Now, my-not-so-perfect-but-try-to-appease-the-megaprograms-who-want-lists would
be:

Resolved the United States Supreme Court should make one or more of the
following rulings:

(1) that the penalty of death in all cases is unconstitutional;

(2) that race based classifications for admissions in educational institutions
subject to Equal Protection review are subject to the rational basis test;

(3) that all persons engaged in hostilities against the United States are
subject to the protections of the Geneva Convention's code for the treatment of
prisoners of war;

(4) persons do not have a constitutional right to an medically induced abortion
unless they can demonstrate that such a procedure is necessary to protect their
own life or the life of another person;

(5) plant species and non-human species have standing to sue in the federal
courts.

Now folks, THAT IS HOW YOU SHOULD WRITE A LIST TOPIC.

(note Numer 4 was worded for a very specific reason--it is sometimes necessary
to abort one fetus to save another in multiple pregnancy situations)

(number 5 is and is not a joke--there are solvency advocates for this one ;) )

Scott