[eDebate] O'Donnell post - re: topic committee

Gordon Stables stables
Thu Jun 8 23:39:19 CDT 2006

Members of the CEDA/NDT/ADA Community,

You have by now seen Tim O?Donnell?s report advocating a substantial
revision of the slate of topic wordings. Ideally I would have introduced
myself to you as the new topic selection committee chair in the next few
days, complete with some of my suggestions for improving our current
procedures. Instead, it is my responsibility to oversee the
consideration of this proposal and any other formal consideration of the
topic.

Procedurally, this is highly unusual, but not prohibited. The CEDA
constitution states that the topic selection committee must report to
the Executive Secretary no fewer than three resolutions corresponding to
the winning topic area in ?early July.? Although there are real
constraints on the ability for organized deliberation, there is nothing
that prevents such action from being considered. There is also some
limited precedent for adjusting the specific wording of a resolution,
such as when the word ?strengthening? was replaced by ?increasing? in
the 1997 environmental regulation topic.

The CEDA constitution describes today as no different from our meetings
in Kansas City. We, as the topic selection committee, are still
empowered by the charge to present a slate of topics (at least three) to
the Executive Secretary by early July. Accordingly, we have a formal
proposal from one our members which warrant consideration. The fact that
the meetings are adjourned does not remove the need to consider this
question in public view. I would like to share with each of you
procedures to help make this more effective for all.

As the chair, I appear to have some latitude in this process, but I want
to adopt a bare minimum of procedures. In a few weeks I will be seeking
the entire community to consider the ideal role of this time in coming
years. In the interim, There are two items that I believe should govern
this process:

1) This session (i.e., today until early July) should be treated as an
appellate process for items on the ballot. To borrow from the legal
process that has us so asunder, this is a higher court of appeals for
problems created by the items on the ballot. I do not believe we serve
the community best by reopening the broad nature of our overall charge,
to construct a slate of resolutions. I firmly believe we will be pushed
to adequately complete this task, given the nature of our other
responsibilities, in the next few weeks. I also feel that we must ensure
the integrity of the open public meetings. If the meetings are simply
another talking session for the topics it will diminish the value of
that process and undermine a very important site of input and
decision-making.

2) This session will be treated using formal rules of procedure, as
outlined in the CEDA constitution for all CEDA meetings. A member of the
committee will need to make a specific motion for change and that change
will be resolved by a majority vote of the nine member committee. The
current slate stands unless and until a new item is passed.

These are the only rulings I hope to have to make at this time. I hope
to have procedures in place for subsequent years, but I do not believe
we can proceed at this time in the absence of some sense of process.

This controversy has also erupted in the middle of my efforts to design
a new web home for the Topic process. I had imagined that I would have
at least a week into my term before needing a new site for public
exchange, but oh well. The blogspot site, in conjunction with the
webcast and posting of notes, worked well as an opening gesture of
transparency. Like any first effort, however, the blogspot site was an
interim solution. It lacked the capacity to handle the surge in traffic
and it suffered from of the limited features associated with a free blog.

To remedy this issue, I have developed a new site to host public
information and deliberation about the topic process. It is almost fully
developed but this is a perfect time to launch it. The new site is
www.cedatopic.com <http://www.cedatopic.com> and it is currently live. I
would ask our community to continue its willingness to use a web-based
medium four our deliberation. I am deeply concerned by our reliance on a
email based system, especially one that is explicitly unregulated and
subject to a volume of off-subject and routinely offensive messages. I
have previously asked other debate organizations to reduce their
reliance on email forums and I would be hypocritical if I did not do so
myself. To that end I would announce that I as chair will not consider
email based forums as representative of community input in future topic
matters. We do so currently because we lack other mediums and it is time
for all debate organizations to develop those channels. I hope that we
can channel our material to this permanent and more restrained home in
the future.

The new site contains links to:
a) a new and improved blog (complete with the ability to designate
threads by topic allowing for easier sorting) The blog?s direct address
is (no www) blog.cedatopic.com
b) a page devoted to the process of the committee (complete with current
contact info)
c) our papers and other resources on the court topic
d) A page devoted to the commissioned areas for 07-08 (this section is
still getting refined)

The new blog has a link to the old blog so we will not lose the old
items. I hope to eventually be able to migrate the old content, but the
link will have to suffice for the interim. I am going to disable posting
and comments on the old site to avoid confusion. Any member of the
community may comment on the topics and the site will include a regular
selection of open threads to facilitate discussion.

If you had made it this far you may have wondered why I haven?t
commented on the specific reforms themselves. This is because I view my
most important role as the chair is to provide a set of publicly
available standards for input and deliberation. The topic selection
committee is formally empowered means of representative governance. It
is not a body that can simply lead by asking for polls, but it cannot
function without regular and substantial community input. Once we move
past this current issue I will be actively soliciting input on a number
of reforms related to the topic process. Ryan Galloway, for example, is
developing a survey of community members to gain further insights into
your views about the topic process. I consider the new website and blog
as an initial step in the enhanced transparency of the process and I
look forward to your perspectives on the next steps.

I would finally hope that everyone involved in the process appreciates
the unique nature of this situation. The historical procedure of the
topic selection committee provides a serious workload for the committee
from the late February period until the topic meetings. Based on past
practice, this is the one short break that members of the committee have
to concentrate on their personal and professional responsibilities
before the season begins in earnest in just a few weeks. I am very
sensitive to the idea that any expectation of routine committee work in
this time may serve as a further disincentive for members of the
community to become involved with the committee and the process. I view
that our charge at this moment is to balance this request for additional
service with the question of amending these options.

Thanks for reading.

Gordon

--

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>