[eDebate] "06 cr 128"--the coffin nail

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Mon Jun 12 13:50:46 CDT 2006

http://forum.truthout.org/blog/story/2006/6/12/9216/61823

"06 cr 128"

By Marc Ash,

Mon Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:33:57 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

Just a general review of Jason Leopold's latest article on the Fitzgerald
investigation/Rove indictment - for clarity.

Once again we will attempt to clearly separate what we know from what we
believe - and why. What we know will be based on official records and
official statements. What we believe will be based on single source
information and general background information obtained from experts. The
conclusions we arrive at should be considered carefully, but not taken as
statements of fact, per se.

We know for certain several things about federal indictment "06 cr 128"
(Sealed vs. Sealed). The indictment was returned by the same grand jury that
has been hearing matters related to the Fitzgerald/Plame investigation. The
indictment was filed in the time frame (around May the 10th) that the
indictment of Karl Rove was first reported. The title of the indictment,
Sealed vs. Sealed, is unusual. Typically a sealed federal indictment will be
titled, "US vs. Sealed." The indictment has been sealed for roughly five
weeks, an unusually long time (although not unheard-of). We know that
experts watching the Fitzgerald/Plame investigation are keeping a very close
eye on "06 cr 128" (Sealed vs. Sealed). We know that we attempted to contact
Karl Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, on two occasions while researching this
issue and both calls went unreturned.

Now for what we believe: We believe that federal criminal indictment "06 cr
128" (Sealed vs. Sealed) is directly related to the Fitzgerald/Plame
investigation. That's based on a single credible source and the information
discussed above. We believe that Karl Rove is cooperating with federal
investigators, and for that reason Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald is not
willing to comment on his status. That is based, again, on a single credible
source, and background information provided by experts in federal criminal
law. We believe that the indictment was returned and filed "on May 10 2006."
Same single credible source, and details from the filing records. We believe
that if any of the key facts that we have reported were materially false or
inaccurate some statement to that effect would be forthcoming from
Fitzgerald's staff. That is based on the same single credible source.

Brief note to our regulars:

One negative consequence of the Rove indictment firestorm has been that so
much of what we cover that is so important to the community has been pushed
into the background. There's a war going on, the right to vote is in doubt,
democracy itself is under attack. Let's work together to keep our focus.

Marc Ash, Executive Director - t r u t h o u t
director at truthout.org