[eDebate] A call for a space topic for 06-07

Stefan Bauschard SBauschard
Tue Jun 13 09:35:48 CDT 2006

I'm joking, but I figured most would enjoy tis card:

June 13

HONG KONG (AP) - The survival of the human race depends on its ability
to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an
increasing risk that a disaster will destroy the Earth, world-renowned
scientist Stephen Hawking said Tuesday.

The British astrophysicist told a news conference in Hong Kong that
humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony
on Mars in the next 40 years.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star
system," added Hawking, who arrived to a rock star's welcome Monday.
Tickets for his lecture planned for Wednesday were sold out.

He added that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100
years, they should have space settlements that can continue without
support from Earth.

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the
survival of the species," Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the
ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden
global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other
dangers we have not yet thought of."

---